Live RTSP stream lagging/decoding issues in DeepStream Python app

Please provide complete information as applicable to your setup.

• Hardware Platform (Jetson / GPU) Jetson Nano
• DeepStream Version 6
• JetPack Version (valid for Jetson only) 4.6
• TensorRT Version
• NVIDIA GPU Driver Version (valid for GPU only)
• Issue Type( questions, new requirements, bugs)
Lag/decoding issues when using live RTSP camera as a source.
• How to reproduce the issue ? (This is for bugs. Including which sample app is using, the configuration files content, the command line used and other details for reproducing)
I am working in a traffic signals project where I am using RTSP streams from security cameras installed at traffic signals to detect objects (cars).
I am running deepstream python app for this. (code from Github attached):

When I run the program on recorded videos, it works fine. But when running it on live stream, video output is weird.
In the following screen record, I have opened jetson in NoMachine on my laptop so that you can see video stream is running perfect on my laptop (using smartPSS software) but the same stream is buffering and lagging in jetson window.
2022-07-29 11-18-43.mkv (16.4 MB)

Same thing happens with running 1 or 2 stream alone.

1 Like

I am checking

1. does it have mosic at the start time?
  2. is there network issue? please capture packets on jetson to check.
  3. if network is ok, need to check the decoding issue, you can use this command to record rtsp source to h264. gst-launch-1.0 uridecodebin uri=rtsp://xxx ! nvvideoconvert ! ‘video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),format=I420’ ! nvv4l2h264enc bitrate=1000000 ! filesink location=/home/nvidia/bp.264

Here’s encoding of incoming rtsp stream from camera

Screenshot 2022-08-01 215653

I have noticed issue emerges when we have 4 streams. In the screenrecord, I have run two deepstream python apps simultaneously. You can see the difference

I ran your GST command. The output of that video is fine. Is there any gst command for generating a tiled output of 4 streams?

1. in your “2022-07-29 11-18-43.mkv”, how do your see that three videos? I did not see “python3” caption, is it a thirdpart tool? if yes, it should be network issue,
    you can start four commandline to verify,
    gst-launch-1.0 uridecodebin uri=rtsp://xxx1 ! nvvideoconvert ! autovideosink
    gst-launch-1.0 uridecodebin uri=rtsp://xxx2 ! nvvideoconvert ! autovideosink

2. if no network issue, need to check performance issue because there are HEVC decoding, h264 encoding and inference, please monitor the CPU/GPU usage when test, you can run four HEVC videos to verify. you can use /opt/nvidia/deepstream/deepstream/samples/streams/sample_1080p_h265.mp4

Unable to start four gst streams

Also, python3 disappears when window is maximized. When I make it small, I can see python3 written there, so that’s not an issue.

Here is system monitor when running RTSP streams, looks fine to me. But the stream is still not looking good.

Also, tried HVEC recorded video samples you mentioned, they are working fine.

Issue seams to be when running more than 1 rtsp streams. Can you try running yourself on any jetson nano?

1. I will reproduce locally.
  2. do you mean running 4 local hevc video is ok? like this, python3 deepstream_imagedata-multistream.py file:///hevc1 file:///hevc2 file:///hevc3 file:///hevc4 frames, if that, it should not performance issue.
  3. does it have mosic at the start time if run 4 rtsp hevc videos? I suppose it is network issue or stream issue.
  4. can you see video if run one gst-launch-1.0 uridecodebin uri=rtsp://xxx1 ! nvvideoconvert ! autovideosink? you can use " ulimit -n 2048" to fix that "Too many open files " problem.
  1. Sure
  2. Yes, local files work fine
  3. I am not sure what mosic means. If you mean mosaic, isn’t that the tiled display?
  4. Yes, one stream runs fine in gst.

So I have narrowed down the issue.

It happens when Deepstream has to interact over local network.
I used rtspout.py example to generate a stream. The stream when played on jetson, works fine. But when playing same stream on another computer on the network, it doesn’t play well.

1 Like

thanks for your update,

1. mosic means not clear display, usually it is because decoding failed, like this:
  2. could you elaborate “It happens when Deepstream has to interact over local network.”?
  3. about “I used rtspout.py example to generate a stream. The stream when played on jetson, works fine.”, how do you played it ? about “when playing same stream on another computer on the network, it doesn’t play well.” what the difference between the network?
  1. Yes it has mosic all the time
  2. I mean whenever I run deespstream on RTSP stream from the local network, this mosic issue happens.
  3. I meant, when I run deepstream on RTSP stream generated from jetson itself, it produces very less mosic.
  1. about “when I run deepstream on RTSP stream generated from jetson itself, it produces very less mosic.” did you run four rtsp stream?
  2. from the points 2,3, it should be source receiving issue because the only one difference is video source, please capture packets on jetson to check. you can use gstreamer to check 4 sources receiving at the same time , here is command: gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc location=rtsp://ip/url ! rtph265depay ! h265parse ! mp4mux ! filesink location=file.mp4
  1. Yes, I just ran 4 streams, and mosic is happening here too.
  2. I recorded 4 .264 streams simultaneously using gst command. No mosic in that. Only happens when using deepstream.

I tried completely flashing jetpack again and installing deepstream 6.0 again, but still I am facing this issue.

It is requested to reproduce this issue on your end.

Also, I get these warnings in the start of pipeline, do these have anything to do with all this?

please ignore these warnings, this application will not use this plugin.