maxTexture2DArray

From driver_types.h, we have the following for cudaDeviceProp

int	maxTexture1D;			  ///< Maximum 1D texture size

int	maxTexture2D[2];		   ///< Maximum 2D texture dimensions

int	maxTexture3D[3];		   ///< Maximum 3D texture dimensions

int	maxTexture2DArray[3];	  ///< Maximum 2D texture array dimensions

Outside of these comments, these do not appear to be documented anywhere else (at least a search doesn’t show them in in the programming guide - they do appear in the reference guide where the doxygen generated lines from these comments are placed).

From its similarity to maxTexture3D, one assumes that maxTexture2D defines the maximum dimensions of a 2D texture bound to a cudaArray. This checks out, as the value is [65536 32768] on my compute 1.1 machine which matches up with the value in the programming guide.

What is curious (and confusing) is that there is a maxTexture2DArray, and it has 3 indices! On my compute 1.1 card, it is [8192 8192 512]. At first, I confused it with 2d textures bound to a cudaArray (and thus maxTexture2D must have been what you can bind with cudaBindTexture2D), but the values are too small and 2D textures do not have 3 indices.

CUDA by example sheds a little light on it: “The maximum dimensions supported for 2D texture arrays” Hmmm… CUDA doesn’t have texture arrays yet - maybe this is a hint that they are on their way?

Yes, 2D texture arrays are coming. Their main advantage over 3D textures are the higher maximum size (as you’ve discovered), and eventually you’ll be able to write to them using surfaces writes as well.

Yes, 2D texture arrays are coming. Their main advantage over 3D textures are the higher maximum size (as you’ve discovered), and eventually you’ll be able to write to them using surfaces writes as well.

Cool. A lot of developers will be really happy to see this feature.

Cool. A lot of developers will be really happy to see this feature.

Yeah, I’m one of them!

Yeah, I’m one of them!

The question is: When ?

And further: Is it backward compatible - so that CC1.1 (or at least CC1.3) devices have benefit from it ?

Thanks in advance.

/Jesko

The question is: When ?

And further: Is it backward compatible - so that CC1.1 (or at least CC1.3) devices have benefit from it ?

Thanks in advance.

/Jesko

Not sure about the release dates, texture arrays should be supported on all G80 and later hardware.

Not sure about the release dates, texture arrays should be supported on all G80 and later hardware.