networking.service failed when booting up jetson tx2

Hi,

My jetson tx2 card suddenly have this Failed to start Raise network interfaces error when I boot up the machine, and sometimes I am unable to connect to the wireless or configure my eth0 port. Below is the error when I check the status on networking.service:

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~$ systemctl status networking.service
● networking.service - Raise network interfaces
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/networking.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /run/systemd/generator/networking.service.d
           └─50-insserv.conf-$network.conf
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2018-04-18 13:15:36 +08; 1h 27min ago
     Docs: man:interfaces(5)
  Process: 558 ExecStart=/sbin/ifup -a --read-environment (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Process: 514 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ "$CONFIGURE_INTERFACES" != "no" ] && [ -n "$(ifquery --read-environ
 Main PID: 558 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Apr 18 13:15:34 tegra-ubuntu systemd[1]: Starting Raise network interfaces...
Apr 18 13:15:34 tegra-ubuntu sh[514]: /etc/network/interfaces:5: misplaced option
Apr 18 13:15:34 tegra-ubuntu sh[514]: ifquery: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
Apr 18 13:15:36 tegra-ubuntu ifup[558]: /etc/network/interfaces:5: misplaced option
Apr 18 13:15:36 tegra-ubuntu ifup[558]: /sbin/ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
Apr 18 13:15:36 tegra-ubuntu systemd[1]: networking.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAIL
Apr 18 13:15:36 tegra-ubuntu systemd[1]: Failed to start Raise network interfaces.
Apr 18 13:15:36 tegra-ubuntu systemd[1]: networking.service: Unit entered failed state.
Apr 18 13:15:36 tegra-ubuntu systemd[1]: networking.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
lines 1-19/19 (END)

Does anyone face this issue or have any solution around it?

Thanks!

What is the content of “/etc/network/interfaces”? Normally it doesn’t have 5 lines.

Are there files in “/etc/network/interfaces.d/”? Normally there are no files here unless something was configured after the install.

My content in “/etc/network/interfaces” is:

# interfaces(5) file used by ifu(8) and ifdown(8)
# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

There is no files in “/etc/network/interfaces.d/”.

This error is quite odd considering your file seems valid (though there may be non-printing characters not visible):

Apr 18 13:15:34 tegra-ubuntu sh[514]: /etc/network/interfaces:5: misplaced option

Technically the file is modified because the comment on the first line has “ifu(8)” instead of “ifup(8)”, but as a comment nothing on this line matters anyway…it is inert.

Also, no files in interfaces.d is also default.

If that comment on the first line really is modified to not show “ifup” instead of “ifu”, then you might try and figure out if something went on which might have altered files or network configuration from some other tool.

Out of curiosity, perhaps check timestamps on everything in that directory…I might expect this directory (the dot “.” directory) and the “interfaces” file to be from a more recent date than others:

cd /etc/network
ls -al

An update of configuration might add or remove something, so dates could be a hint. After that it would be of interest to see a “tree” view. Install “tree” (“sudo apt-get install tree”) and then from that same “/etc/network/” directory post the output of “tree”.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, strangely after I “sudo apt-get update” and “sudo apt-get upgrade” and reboot jetson. The networking status become OK again.

Thanks!