flashing jetson tx2 using host pc

hi, while working on jetson tx2 arm64 got removed from my board.
I tried to install ubuntu using bootable flash drive but nothing happened later on i decided to use pc as host and tried to install jetpack 3.3 in it i’ve successfully installed it in my host pc but unable to install it in jetson board. i also tried flashing using ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1 but it shows error flash.sh directory not found. Can you help me to figure out if to run flash.sh anything has to be downloaded, or anything else is to be done to start my jetson tx2 again. (the jetson board shuts every 5 sec. after showing message “reebooting in 5 sec…” and then restarts, this is running in loop.)

This is similar to this other thread:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1056680/jetson-tx2/flashing-jetson-tx2-with-jetpack-using-host-pc/

Some information on the flash software may help to illustrate what is going on. JetPack (and the newer name SDK Manager) is actually a front end to other software. In the case of flash, JetPack does not perform the actual flash. Flash is performed by the driver package, and this is the package providing “flash.sh” (the missing component). JetPack downloads and unpacks the driver package and sample rootfs prior to flash. If flash.sh is missing, then one of the following issues will be blocking you:

• Insufficient disk space to unpack the software.
  • Root permissions are not required for this, and so although permissions could be an issue, this is extremely unlikely.
  • JetPack was unable to download the software:
    • Perhaps due to firewall or proxy.
    • If using a later release, then perhaps because of failure to sign in (your NVIDIA login is requested for the more recent SDK Manager).
    • There may be other network issues.
  • As a test of login ability for the more recent SDK Manager, are you able to go here with a web browser and log in?
    https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetpack

Thanks for the reply. But now I’m facing another problem while installing jetson 4.2 from the sdk manager. two of my files are unable to get decompressed and i’m getting the below mention info about it in the terminal.
" 10:41:53 INFO : File System and OS : start to download https://developer.nvidia.com/assets/embedded/secure/tools/files/jetpack-sdks/jetpack-4.2/JETPACK_42_b158/P3310/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2 to /home/intern/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2
10:43:44 INFO : File System and OS : verifying checksum of /home/intern/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2
10:43:47 INFO : File System and OS : download /home/intern/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2 successfully, checksum is correct
10:43:47 INFO : File System and OS : download ‘File System and OS’ success
10:53:59 INFO : File System and OS : Found file /home/intern/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2 with correct checksum, skip downloading.
10:53:59 INFO : File System and OS : download ‘File System and OS’ success
10:56:51 INFO : File System and OS : Found file /home/intern/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2 with correct checksum, skip downloading.
10:56:51 INFO : File System and OS : download ‘File System and OS’ success
10:59:34 INFO : File System and OS : Found file /home/intern/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2 with correct checksum, skip downloading.
10:59:34 INFO : File System and OS : download ‘File System and OS’ success
11:12:21 INFO : File System and OS : Found file /home/intern/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2 with correct checksum, skip downloading.
11:12:21 INFO : File System and OS : download ‘File System and OS’ success
11:15:37 INFO : File System and OS : Found file /home/intern/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2 with correct checksum, skip downloading.
11:15:37 INFO : File System and OS : download ‘File System and OS’ success
11:18:39 INFO : File System and OS : Found file /home/intern/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2 with correct checksum, skip downloading.
11:18:39 INFO : File System and OS : download ‘File System and OS’ success
11:28:07 INFO : File System and OS : Found file /home/intern/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2 with correct checksum, skip downloading.
11:28:07 INFO : File System and OS : download ‘File System and OS’ success
12:16:55 INFO : File System and OS : Found file /home/intern/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2 with correct checksum, skip downloading.
12:16:55 INFO : File System and OS : download ‘File System and OS’ success
14:29:17 INFO : File System and OS : Found file /home/intern/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2 with correct checksum, skip downloading.
14:29:17 INFO : File System and OS : download ‘File System and OS’ success
14:38:33 INFO : File System and OS : Found file /home/intern/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2 with correct checksum, skip downloading.
14:38:33 INFO : File System and OS : download ‘File System and OS’ success
14:41:26 INFO : File System and OS : Found file /home/intern/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2 with correct checksum, skip downloading.
14:41:26 INFO : File System and OS : download ‘File System and OS’ success
INSTALLATION FAILED
Please review the terminal tab for details. Resolve and RETRY.
EXPORT LOGS

RETRY
FAILED ITEMS

STOP TRYING

Copyright © 2019,

NVIDIA CORPORATION
All rights reserved.
|
NVIDIA Developer"

moreover the tbz2 files namely “Tegra_Multimedia_API_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2” and “Jetson_Linux_R32.1.0_aarch64.tbz2” are not decompressing.
please help.

Ubuntu itself has a bug in a recent update. The bzip2 tool on the host itself is likely causing the issue. See:
[url]Jetpack 4.2 Xavier Install Failed - Jetson AGX Xavier - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Basically people are regressing their bzip2 to a known good version. At some point Ubuntu will probably produce a bug fix for this and regular updates will work after that.

i have followed the steps given in the video link given below
NVIDIA Jetson SDK Manager - JetPack 4.2 - YouTube
and i was successful in flashing the jetson tx2 using my host pc, until the last step. The problem i am facing is
"Could not connect to the target device. Verify that:

1. The device is connected to this host machine with a USB cable.
  2. Ubuntu ‘System configuration wizard’ is completed on the device.
  3. Jetson’s Ubuntu OS is up and running.
  4. Jetson usb device mode service is started successfully.
  • See readme file in the auto-mounted “L4T-README” folder for more details."

while typing the user name and password. i’m using ubuntu 16.04 in my host pc.

The video URL is giving me an error, so I can’t see that.

The image is from addition of optional components, and this depends on ethernet connectivity. In this case you are using the 192.168.55.1 address from a virtual ethernet adapter over USB. Possibilities for this:

• Ethernet has not been set up to use the 192.168.55.1 from the host PC.
  • You haven't logged in once to the Jetson to create an initial account via its GUI and ssh doesn't work due to lack of the login account existing (it used to be that accounts existed once flashed, but now you have to log in locally once to create the first account).
  • The files needed for copy to the Jetson don't exist because of a download issue. This isn't exactly the case for that particular message, but I mention it because of the previously mentioned bzip2 bug in recent Ubuntu updates. Even if networking worked, then if that bzip2 bug has not been accounted for you would fail at this stage (it'd just be a different reason).

So the first question is whether or not you managed to log in locally once to the Jetson to add the initial account? If so, then does your host PC show the USB ethernet from “ifconfig”? If that works, then can you ping 192.168.55.1 from the host PC?

d $HOME && mkdir bzip2 && cd bzip2
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/206950099/bzip2_1.0.6-8_amd64.deb

wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/206950098/libbz2-1.0_1.0.6-8_amd64.deb

dpkg -x bzip2_1.0.6-8_amd64.deb .
dpkg -x libbz2-1.0_1.0.6-8_amd64.deb .

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/bzip2/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH PATH=$HOME/bzip2/bin:$PATH sdkmanager

this command was used by me to cop up with the bzip2 issue it worked for me. please tell me if the third point mentioned by you will be satisfied by this command or not.

this was the video i followed, if it runs on your system.
my ethernet was giving ping for 192.68.55.1

i have an account on nvidia and the only issue that can be is the third one.
but after running the above commands there was no download or installation issue. only the error was with the image i send you.

Both JetPack and the SDK Manager have to download a manifest before starting. Above you mentioned JetPack3.3, which is the release just prior to SDKM being created. Some details differ between the two, especially for networking. Are you still using JetPack3.3? I see the SDKM command later. Up to and including the actual flash the two are very similar and details at the flash stage probably won’t differ (aside from added package install and installed Ubuntu version, the flash probably won’t differ regardless of which version you used).

The bzip2 commands you gave would probably solve recent Ubuntu bzip2 bug issues for some parts of the flash, but I don’t know if other components might have been called which did not use the LD variable. Likely it would have worked through inheritance, but I won’t guarantee it.

Regarding JetPack3.3 versus SDKM4.2, networking has changed a lot between the two. In the case of JetPack3.3, I’m going to guess you do not go through a firewall or proxy (these cause failures) to the outside world, and thus there is an assumption JetPack is able to download its manifest (even if you didn’t reach the extra package install the manifest must download).

What I’m going to suggest is trying to flash on command line, and then posting the complete flash log. This leaves out components of the flash which are not necessary and might simplify things. Within your SDKM or JetPack directory you will find subdirectory “Linux_for_Tegra/”. I am going to assume that content has been added already to “Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs/”, and thus any image build would succeed based on this (if you have content there other than a README, then this is probably good to go). Then, with the TX2 in recovery mode and verified with “lsusb -d 0955:7c18” as having output:

sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1 2>&1 | gawk '{gsub("[0-9][0-9]+[/][0-9[0-9]+ bytes sent..",".");print}' | tee log_flash.txt

You can prefix with the bzip2 LD environment as well, but make sure to note if you did this when you post the log. “log_flash.txt” will contain all of the content you see during flash.

The “gawk” part of it just eliminates a lot of the progress bar content and makes the log smaller. Once you have this, if you hover your mouse over the quote icon in the upper right of one of your existing posts, then other icons will show up. The paper clip icon allows attaching the log file.

My problem has been solved after I changed my Ethernet ip address, I was able to flash jetpack 4.2 on my Jetson tx2. Thanks for all the suggestions.

i have met up with another problem, my internet is not working via ethernet after it is flashed. is there anything i have to configure so that my ethernnet works?

The wired ethernet should function if you have a router. Sometimes routers are configured to require knowing the MAC address before allowing the traffic (a security setting). Is the TX2 using the wired ethernet? WiFi requires a lot more setup and I tend to avoid WiFi.

What do you see from these commands?

ifconfig
route

i am getting the result as shown in attachment

So eth0 seems to be up and has address 192.168.1.67. For route I see a gateway which is abstracted as “_gateway”, so I don’t know if routing is set up correctly or not. So let’s test the following…

Does DNS work? If so, then you should get a reply from the command “host nvidia.com”. If not, then know that an address for nvidia.com, in dotted-decimal form, is 216.228.121.209. If DNS is down, but route is good, then you should still be able to “ping 216.228.121.209”. If ping also fails, then it means there is a route failure when accessing addresses outside of the local subnet.

FYI, the above is normally provided by the router.

NOTE: The router must be at least partially working, otherwise the IP address would have never been assigned.

thanks for the help you provided i have resolved the issue by reflashing my device the ip address of my device was accidently changes by me due to which this problem arrived.