Flash issue - Flashing JETSON TX2 using sdk manager-jetpack 4.4 onto target OS HW

Hello, I was working on the jetson tx2 using sdk manager to flash the hw using jetpack 4.4 and i see that the sdk manager does not flash the target os image onto the hw via micro usb. i see error with flash issue. i was running ubuntu 3.0 previously and was working fine and now i updated to 4.4 and for some reason i don’t see the boot showing up as well initially.

Laptop : DELL native ubuntu 18 via sdk manager
Flash hw using micro usb connector.

Hi gsinnapolu,

Can you please package the ~/.nvsdkm directory on your host machine then upload it here for further investigation?

Hello EdwardZhou,

Please find the attached ~/.nvsdkm zip file.
Could please setup a meeting this week for me to help solve this issue. I am available on zoom or google hangouts or teams. Let me know what time and day works for you.

Thanks!
girinvsdkm_file.zip (1.0 MB)

Hi giri,

The flashing log shows that the TX2 device is not in recovery mode. Can you please manually set the device to recovery mode and retry? Sometimes changing a USB cable may also help.

Info: exec_command [host]:
#!/bin/bash
set -e
set -e
if [ -e  ./bootloader/system.img ]; then
    echo sudo ./flash.sh --no-systemimg jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1
    sudo ./flash.sh --no-systemimg jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1
else
    echo sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1
    sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1
fi
sleep 20
Info: exec_command: /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh
###############################################################################
# L4T BSP Information:
# R32 , REVISION: 4.3
Error: probing the target board failed.
       Make sure the target board is connected through 
       USB port and is in recovery mode.
Info: [ Component Install Finished with Error ]

Hello Edward,

I tried setting the device to recover mode manually and i see the error below . I also replaced the usb cable .

3:26:13 INFO: command finished successfully
********************************************************************************Terminal error *********************************

13:26:13 DEBUG: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash: using adapter to install NV_DEVICE_MODE_SETUP_IMAGE_COMP@JETSON_TX2 to /home/gsinnapolu/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_Linux_JETSON_TX2

13:26:13 INFO: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash: current working directory is /home/gsinnapolu/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_Linux_JETSON_TX2

13:26:13 INFO: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash: Found route default wlp2s0, setting up device mode

13:26:14 INFO: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

13:26:14 INFO: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash: Device mode on host successfuly set with DNS 8.8.8.8!

13:26:14 INFO: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash: command finished successfully

13:26:14 SUMMARY: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash: Install completed successfully.

13:26:14 DEBUG: running command < true >

13:26:14 INFO: command finished successfully

13:26:14 DEBUG: Flash Jetson TX2: using adapter to install NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP@JETSON_TX2 to /home/gsinnapolu/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_Linux_JETSON_TX2

13:26:14 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2: change working directory to /home/gsinnapolu/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_Linux_JETSON_TX2/Linux_for_Tegra

13:26:14 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2: sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1

13:26:14 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2: # L4T BSP Information:

13:26:14 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2: ###############################################################################

13:26:19 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2: USB port and is in recovery mode.

13:26:19 ERROR: Flash Jetson TX2: command terminated with error

13:26:21 SUMMARY: VPI on Target: Depends on failed component

Hi giri,

The log here seems incomplete. Can you please open a terminal window and manually flash the device with following commands?

cd /home/gsinnapolu/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_Linux_JETSON_TX2/Linux_for_Tegra

hello edward,

see the below terminal , i am not sure why usb micro is not detecting here but lsusb shows the recovery mode,

gsinnapolu@DT-AT009999:~/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_Linux_JETSON_TX2/Linux_for_Tegra$ sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1

L4T BSP Information:

R32 , REVISION: 4.3

Error: probing the target board failed.
Make sure the target board is connected through
USB port and is in recovery mode.
gsinnapolu@DT-AT009999:~/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_Linux_JETSON_TX2/Linux_for_Tegra$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 2109:0813 VIA Labs, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:5539 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 0955:7c18 NVidia Corp.
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 2109:2813 VIA Labs, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0cf3:e007 Atheros Communications, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
gsinnapolu@DT-AT009999:~/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_Linux_JETSON_T

maybe similar problem as below ticket .

Is your board in a brick state after you tried to set it to recovery mode?

Hi, can you detail me on how to find out the brick state ?

Do you see your board totally gets no response when you set it into recovery mode?

Did you ever flash this TX2 before? I don’t mind what release was that. Just want to know if you have experience in flashing device or not.

hello , yes my board has no response in recover mode. i previously flashed the tx2 on a VM before previously using jetpack 3.3 . Now few weeks ago i got the dell native ubuntu laptop and used sdk manager to install jetpack 4.4 and i see this issue. previously i tried jetpack 4.4 on VM and had issues installing as the build was failing at some point all the time. hence i switched to native ubuntu and now i see this issue.

Can we use some release like jetpack3.3 on your host again and see if it can flash your board?

It sounds that there is not yet any successful flash case on your new environment, right?

Yes seems like there is no new environment as of now. i think i might see the same issue using jetpack 3.3 as well but i can try it and let you know. Would it be possible for a quick virtual support to access my board and fix it let me know . we have a research project on hold and have to solve this asap.

Sorry, not possible. And flash problem is not able to use remote access to debug.

For your case, try different hosts and different cables if possible.

Also, if you have extra TX2 devices, try to flash them too. It can prevent the case that current board is broken.
If none of those TX2 can get flashed, then probably host side issue.

Hello Wayne,

I tried the board to connect to virtual machine to run jetpack 3.3 and it behaves similarly because there is no environment as we discussed. Is there any other way to solve this problem. i don't have an extra board with me. is it possible to get the board replaced.

Why do you have to use a virtual machine for jetpack3.3?

Why you cannot just use current native Ubuntu host with jetpack3.3?

When I said “find other host”, virtual machine is never an option here.

Btw, since your board keeps failing to get flash, is it still able to boot up?

Also, could you tell us what is your step to put device into recovery mode?

No i dont see my board booting up if it boots up then i should see booting up on my HDMI port and i dont see that.

Steps to recovery mode :

hold reset,rec and power same time . release power button , rec button and the reset button .

The steps look not right.

TX2 Force Recovery Mode

Starting with the device powered off:

1. Press and hold down the Force Recovery button.
  2. Press and hold down the Power button.
  3. Release the Power button, then release the Force Recovery button.

We don’t hold power and reset button at the same time. Only one of them is pressed along with force recovery mode…

hello wayne, I tried those steps too previously . I did try the above method now once again and i see it fails as usual . below are the terminal logs

12:22:47 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2: ###############################################################################

12:22:47 INFO: Multimedia API: Found file /home/gsinnapolu/Desktop/Nvidia/nvidia-l4t-jetson-multimedia-api_32.4.3-20200625213407_arm64.deb with correct checksum, skip downloading.

12:22:47 INFO: cuDNN on Target: Found file /home/gsinnapolu/Desktop/Nvidia/libcudnn8-dev_8.0.0.180-1+cuda10.2_arm64.deb with correct checksum, skip downloading.

12:22:47 INFO: TensorRT on Target: Found file /home/gsinnapolu/Desktop/Nvidia/libnvinfer-samples_7.1.3-1+cuda10.2_all.deb with correct checksum, skip downloading.

12:22:48 INFO: CUDA Toolkit for L4T: Found file /home/gsinnapolu/Desktop/Nvidia/cuda-repo-l4t-10-2-local-10.2.89_1.0-1_arm64.deb with correct checksum, skip downloading.

12:22:52 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2: USB port and is in recovery mode.

12:22:52 ERROR: Flash Jetson TX2: command terminated with error

12:22:53 SUMMARY: VPI on Target: Depends on failed component

12:30:55 SUMMARY: NVIDIA Nsight Systems: Install completed successfully.

12:31:44 SUMMARY: Drivers for Jetson: Install completed successfully.

12:37:17 SUMMARY: File System and OS: Install completed successfully.

12:37:17 SUMMARY: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash: Install completed successfully.

12:37:24 SUMMARY: VPI on Target: Depends on failed component