NVidia 630 GT (and 9500 GT) not displaying 2560x1080

I recently got an nvidia 630GT. It has 1 mini-hdmi, 2 DVI-I outputs. The card specification is able to output 2560x1600 max. I only need 2560x1080@60. However, HDMI only gets me 1920x1080 and Dual DVI-D connections (both ports) give me 2560x1080 but the text and mouse on screen are horribly pixelated. xrandr does nothing when adding a creating and adding a new mode with and without blanking using CVT and GTF. I created my own monitor section at /usr/share/X11/Xorg.conf.d/10-monitors with appropriate modelines and nothing.

I read in a post that nvidia has locked the pixel clock in drivers above 301.x making it difficult to run custom modelines.

I tried the machine in windows and the DVI-port still outputs that ugly pixelated image…however, when I switch to HDMI it is crisp and clear at 2560x1080 which doesn’t matter because it’s windows. If I can get it to run in Ubuntu at the same rate with the same cable everything would be ok.

I tried using a custom EDID in xorg.conf and I get nothing…What happens then is that Ubuntu outputs 2560x1080@60 with the same pixelated image that I get when connected throught DVI.

If anyone needs more information or for me to try anything else I am willing to do so.

PS. The previous card gave me the same issue a 9500 GT but it then worked flawlessly with VGA, However, I want to put my new card to use and would rather not use VGA but prefer a digital connection like HDMI or DVI.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (91.2 KB)

Are you using a single-link DVI cable? You can tell if the cable is single-link if some of the pins of the DVI connector are missing. You need to use a dual-link cable with all of the pins for 2560x1600.

Edit: obligatory Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DVI_Connector_Types.svg

For my configuration with a monitor with 2560x1080 native resolution (Dell U2913WM) I had to place:

Option	   "ModeValidation" "DFP-1: NoMaxPClkCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck"

in /etc/xorg.conf under the “Device” section for the GPU that drives my display, where DFP-1 for me is the HDMI output. You should be able to drive 2560x1080 in Linux over HDMI if you enable those overrides.

Aplattner, I am using a dual DVI-D cable, I ordered another one just to test if the one I am using is faulty. It should be in by tomorrow at the latest.

Vacaloca, I am going to try those settings right now. I will try DFP-0 then 1 and then HDMI-0 then 1. I will let you know shortly. I will also try the suffice 2 and 3.

Thank you for the reply.

Vacaloca, I tried using those lines and it just gave me a “no signal hdmi” message. I had to do ctrl+alt+F2 to restart lightdm without your modifications just to get it working to 1920x1080.

Both with and without my customEDID and here is what the driver told me via Xorg.0.log. See attached file.
xorglog.txt (29.6 KB)

Solved! Kinda…I just tried the new DVI cable I got from amazon with noise chokes on both ends and this thing no longer is pixelated @ 2560x1080. It is working beautifully. However, Nvidia should bring their linux drivers up to parity with windows drivers. There is no reason why this card should not be able to output 2560x1080@60 over HDMI on linux when it does so just fine under Windows 7. One more mess-up like this and I will default to ATI or Intel graphics in the future. As for now, Im glad the DVI cable is working for me.

I forgot to mention that you could get the correct device name for your HDMI output by running xrandr, but glad you got it working with the other dual link DVI cable.