Nvidia GTX 960 to Grid M40 upgrade doesn't work.

I upgraded a GTX960 to a Grid M40 to accelerate FFMPEG encodes. I had everything working with the old GTX960 on CentOS 7 and was impressed enough with the results to get a M40. The OS seems to see the card just fine as you can see:

[root@localhost]~# nvidia-smi
    Mon Nov 14 17:59:15 2016       
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | NVIDIA-SMI 367.48                 Driver Version: 367.48                    |
    |-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
    | GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
    | Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
    |===============================+======================+======================|
    |   0  GRID M40            Off  | 0000:44:00.0     Off |                  N/A |
    | 60%   60C    P0    17W /  53W |      0MiB /  4041MiB |      0%      Default |
    +-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
    |   1  GRID M40            Off  | 0000:45:00.0     Off |                  N/A |
    | 59%   59C    P0    17W /  53W |      0MiB /  4041MiB |      0%      Default |
    |   2  GRID M40            Off  | 0000:46:00.0     Off |                  N/A |
    | 40%   41C    P0    16W /  53W |      0MiB /  4041MiB |      0%      Default |
    |   3  GRID M40            Off  | 0000:47:00.0     Off |                  N/A |
    |  0%   49C    P0    10W /  53W |      0MiB /  4041MiB |      0%      Default |

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
    |  GPU       PID  Type  Process name                               Usage      |
    |=============================================================================|
    |  No running processes found                                                 |

And I can run some sample Nvidia apps:

[root@localhost]~/NVIDIA_CUDA-8.0_Samples/1_Utilities/bandwidthTest# ./bandwidthTest 
    [CUDA Bandwidth Test] - Starting...
    Running on...

Device 0: GRID M40
     Quick Mode

Host to Device Bandwidth, 1 Device(s)
     PINNED Memory Transfers
       Transfer Size (Bytes)        Bandwidth(MB/s)
       33554432                     6286.3

Device to Host Bandwidth, 1 Device(s)
     PINNED Memory Transfers
       33554432                     6441.0

Device to Device Bandwidth, 1 Device(s)
     PINNED Memory Transfers
       33554432                     64577.1

Result = PASS

But when I try running ffmpeg, I get this error:

[hevc_nvenc @ 0x290e500] No NVENC capable devices found
    Stream mapping:
      Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (native) -> hevc (hevc_nvenc))
      Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)
    Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height

I have tried to uninstall the nvidia drivers, cuda and reinstall them, I even recompiled ffmpeg, but the error hasn’t gone away. Any ideas?

I don’t have any indication that GRID M40 is a supported NVIDIA product. It was a product under development at one point, but those plans were shelved. I’m not sure of the process by which they came to be available (yes, I can see that you can buy them from places like Amazon), but it’s not clear to me that it is or was a valid process.

My advice would be to return it for a refund if you have that option.

Note that Tesla M10 is a somewhat similar product and is officially supported:

[url]http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla-m10.html[/url]

It seems the question about Grid M40 came up before: [url]https://gridforums.nvidia.com/default/topic/825/general-discussion/nvidia-grid-m40-cards-anyone-know-about-these-/[/url]

If this never turned into a shipping product, it would stand to reason that whatever parts are available in the market are engineering samples sold off by OEMs after they completed their evaluations.

Thanks guys, I was pulling my hair out on this yesterday. I will see if I can return it and get the newer chipset.