OpenGL Crash When Entering Fullscreen on RTX 3060 Mobile with nvidia-dkms 555.58.02 (Minecraft)

Operating System: Arch Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 6.1.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.3.0
Qt Version: 6.7.2
Kernel Version: 6.9.8-arch1-1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 16 × 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 62.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU/PCIe/SSE2
Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
Product Name: Katana GF76 11UE
System Version: REV:1.0

nvidia-bug-report.log (6.7 MB)
hs_err_pid1197.log (221.4 KB)

edit:
Does not happens on X11 Session

Anything? Any info if the bug is confirmed?

https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-274376

Here is another user experiencing a similar issue but with a different approach.

I wasn’t able to reproduce the crash just making the window fullscreen, but I did run into a similar-looking crash when exiting the game. For reference, I filed internal bug number 4764568.

1 Like

Forgot to mention that issue can be produced on 1.12.2 version.

Is this fixed in Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver | 560.31.02 | Linux 64-bit | NVIDIA ? If yes im switching my gpu back to nvidia.

Did some investigation its not minecraft problem.

lwjgl 2 crashes on full-screen meantime lwjgl 3 crashes on exit

If any tests needed i could test everything to get rid of this issue.

Hi @edgarscirulis
This is under active investigation, and we do not have a fix yet.
Will keep posted on the progress, thanks.

Alright, meanwhile, I’ll try to fix the issue by using assembly. If I have any luck, I’ll let you know.

I’m having the same issue, but for me, I don’t need to enter fullscreen; it crashes as soon as I launch 1.8.9 Minecraft (lwjgl 2). Any Minecraft version running lwjgl 3 starts and runs fine but also crashes for me on exit (as mentioned here).

Kernel: 6.10.6-arch1-1
DE: KDE Plasma 6.1.4
WM: Wayland sddm 0.21.0
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (24) @ 3.800GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd
Product Name: MS-7C02

nvidia-bug-report.log (2.2 MB)
hs_err_pid96063.log (169.4 KB)

I just discovered that setting the environment variable __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=0 (on the application level, not globally) fixes both the lwjgl2 startup crash and the lwjgl3 shutdown crash.

@xericl That’s interesting find, Assuming explicit sync has conflict with __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS (Maybe was never tested).

Hi, @amrits . Sorry for disturbing you. Maybe this clue may speed up resolving the issue?
__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS makes the issue. Without it no crash.

@xericl Great find. This fixes the crashes that occur when toggling full-screen and when quitting the game for me. I use PrismLauncher an I’ve added the environment variable to my instance settings for a seamless experience. Thanks again. This is a perfect band-aid until this issue receives a proper fix.