Optix Error: Kernel Launch returned

Hi,

Can someone please let me know what this error means? I seems to get it by launching rtContextLaunch1D and my display driver stops working.

OptiX Error: Unknown Error (Details: Function “_rtContextLaunch1D” caught exception: Encountered a CUDA error: Kernel launch returned (702): Launch Timeout, [6619200])

Thanks.

That means that your OptiX/CUDA kernel did not finish before the operating system timeout kicked in assuming a kernel driver was hung and restarted the display driver to prevent a bluescreen. Microsoft calls that mechanism “Timeout Detection and Recovery” (TDR).
Under Windows Vista/7/8 Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) that timeout is only two seconds!
Under Windows XP it was higher but then you got a bluescreen.

The possible solutions to these problems are

• Do less work more often. (E.g. shoot fewer rays per launch, launch more often and combine the results.)
  • Use a Tesla board running in Tesla Compute Cluster (TCC) driver mode which is not affected by the OS display driver timeout.
  • Use faster GPUs.
  • Use more GPUs.
  • Increase the TDR timeout. (Absolutely not recommended for shipping applications!)

I was shooting too many rays per launch. Reducing them removed the error.

Thanks for the help. :)

I’ve had the same issue, and in most cases I’ve solved it using rtContextSetTimeoutCallback(). From what I understand, OptiX calls the specified callback function at the time interval specified, which prevents timeouts.

However, sometimes (especially if I launch the same OptiX program repeatedly from my application) the callback function doesn’t seem to get called in time to prevent a timeout. Can someone explain the mechanism that OptiX uses to call the callback function, and what I can do to guarantee that it gets called before Windows calls its TDR mechanism?

Optix measures the time a warp has started against the time specified in timeout. Problems arise when for example you have a launch index that can take 0.5 seconds, the timeout is 1.8 seconds and the current elapsed time is 1.6 seconds. OptiX says it’s OK to proceed (1.6 < 1.8), but you get a timeout when you wanted to use 2.1 seconds.

Generally you want to set the timeout to be TDR - MaxTimeForSingleLaunchIndex. In the above example, you would set the timeout at 1.5 seconds if your TDR is 2 seconds.

Note that you can also adjust the TDR in your windows registry. There are instructions of how to do so in the CUDA Toolkit documentation.

In addition a Tesla device or a Quadro device put in TCC mode will not have the TDR limitation. I use a Tesla device, and I love it for OptiX work.