Parallel Reduction does not work correctly

I have the following parallel kernel reduction written on OpenCL. I just want to sum all the values from the BlockSum array. While using the work_group_reduce_add(BlockSum[GetIndex]); it works perfectly right, using the optimized code below (in comments) I read from https://www.fz-juelich.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/IAS/JSC/EN/slides/opencl/opencl-05-reduction.pdf?__blob=publicationFile (Slide 11) does not work correctly. What seems to be the error here? The global_work_size is set to {16,16} as well as the local_work_size (meaning 256 threads or cores in total for each workgroup or multiprocessor). In the case of the work_group_reduce_add I get 255 which is correct but with the optimized code, I get 0s.

__kernel void Reduction()
{
        unsigned char GetThreadX = get_local_id(0); //it takes values from 0..15
        unsigned char GetThreadY = get_local_id(1); //it takes values from 0..15
        unsigned char GetGroup   = get_local_size(0); //16
        unsigned short  BlockSum[256];      
        int SumOfAll= 0;            

unsigned short GetIndex = GetThreadX + (GetGroup * GetThreadY); // takes values 0..255, group=16        

BlockSum[GetIndex] = 1;             
        barrier(CLK_LOCAL_MEM_FENCE);       

SumOfAll= work_group_reduce_add(BlockSum[GetIndex]); //works great  

// --> BUT THE OPTIMIZED CODE BELOW DOES NOT SUM CORRECTLY
        /*
        for(unsigned short stride=128; stride>1; stride >>= 1) {

if(GetIndex < stride)
                BlockSum[GetIndex] += BlockSum[GetIndex + stride];          
        }               
        if(GetIndex==0)             
            SumOfAll = BlockSum[0] + BlockSum[1];       
        */
        printf("SumOfAll=%d\n",SumOfAll);
}

I suggest you learn how to write a reduction using OpenCL local memory. This is not how you declare local memory:

That is private memory, which means it is separate for each work-item. Your commented out code expects/intends to use local memory, not private memory. The OpenCL primitive, on the other hand, is only using one element of private memory per work-item, and is doing its actual reduction work using some other method (e.g. its own internal declaration of local memory.)

Thank you. I think you have right!!!

I thought -by mistake of course- that the array is already declared as local, but after your helpful reply I can clearly say that was a mistake since it was declared as private.

Tomorrow as soon as I go back to my office, I will try to change the declaration of the array, and I will give it a try.

Anyway,I will let you know about the results.

Best regards,

Dear Robert, as I already said in my previous post you had absolutely right. I was not very cautious about the memory address space, and I am pretty sure that I would not be thinking about that, without your precious help.

You saved my time!!! Thank you for that.

So the working kernel should be like this.

__kernel void Reduction()
{
        unsigned char GetThreadX = get_local_id(0); //it takes values from 0..15
        unsigned char GetThreadY = get_local_id(1); //it takes values from 0..15
        unsigned char GetGroup   = get_local_size(0); //16

//*********************************************************
        //below was the offending code and the root of the problem 
        //**********************************************************
        __local unsigned short  BlockSum[256];      
        int SumOfAll;           
        //**********************************************************

unsigned short GetIndex = GetThreadX + (GetGroup * GetThreadY); // takes values 0..255, group=16        

BlockSum[GetIndex] = 1;             

//SumOfAll = work_group_reduce_add(BlockSum[GetIndex]); 

// OPTIMIZED CODE BELOW NOW SUM UP CORRECTLY

for(unsigned short stride=128; stride>1; stride >>= 1) {

if(GetIndex < stride)
                BlockSum[GetIndex] += BlockSum[GetIndex + stride];          
        }               
        if(GetIndex==0)             
            SumOfAll = BlockSum[0] + BlockSum[1];       

printf("SumOfAll=%d\n",SumOfAll);

}

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.