Poor Halo Infinite Performance and Random Hang

Hello,

There seems to be some kind of Nvidia Driver related issue with Halo Infinite. While the game runs, the performance is about ~20% of what it should be and in addition to that there seems to be random hang which freezes the picture, but the sound game itself still continues to run.

1 Like

Same here would rlly like Nvidia to look into this. The performance Is rlly odd vs when playing the game on windows. With a rtx 2060 the game will get around 30 to 50 fps with really bad frame timing and while on windows 11 I can get over 100 fps. Also shader and texture cache are loading in everytime into a match. There is also a bug where the game will hang at 01 of a second loading into a match and crash.

Just wanted to inform that Halo Infinite doesn’t even start on 525.53 driver.

I am also seeing Halo Infinite crash during the initial loading screen with driver 525.53. The issue does not occur on driver 520.56.06

Thanks for reporting issue, I have filed a bug 3868056 internally for tracking purpose.
Shall try for local repro internally and will ask for information if required.

I am not able to reproduce issue so far locally, request to share bug report from repro state so that we can try to analyze issue based on debug logs.
Meanwhile, I will try on few other test systems to reproduce issue locally.

Here is a bug report on a fresh start and directly logging into Steam to test out Halo Infinite, further to that I also attach a log of Proton.
nvidia-bug-report.log (19.6 MB)
steam-1240440.log (13.3 MB)

EDIT: Not really sure if what is affecting Halo Infinite to not start is also affecting Serious Sam 4 and SM, I did attach a video on the thread, but it could be linked as both issues started with this driver.

We were able to reproduce issue locally.
We are actively working upon it and will keep you posted.

I am unable to experience this issue on driver 525.60.11, not sure what is different from the 525.53 one(Serious Sam bug still present so I’m guessing it’s different thing affecting it).

Also seeing poor framerate and frame timing performance in Halo Infinite on Arch with an Nvidia 3090. The poor framerate also makes Halo Infinite’s LOD kick in, resulting in everything looking like they were modeled in low-poly.

We were able to root caused the issue, fix will be incorporated in future released driver.
Shall update once it is done publicly.

I just tried driver 530.41.03 and the performance on my 2080 Ti is still bad, it feels just the same as with 525.
Is the fix already released? If not, is there a release target that you can share?

I’m also experiencing this issue, on 530.41.03.

When you said you could repro the issue, were you referring to the low framerate or the video freezes?

The video freezes make the game completely unplayable, so that definitely needs fixed. I’m guessing there’s still no update on when this might be incorporated? You said you’d be putting it in a future update six months ago. That’s pretty wild, I’m not sure of any reason why Nvidia would just hold on to a bugfix like that.

@gardotd426
We saw hang and crash issues on our local setups which has been already fixed and integrated in released drivers.
We also compared game performance in terms of FPS value and it’s the same what we observed with r520 branch drivers and fix driver.
If you are still facings issue on your setup, please share FPS value and reference video for same. Also let us know the FPS value for earlier working driver.

@amrits I’ve never had a working driver, I didn’t get the game until I was already on 525 or 530.

I’m not seeing fps issues, I’m seeing crashes before I can even get into a match, same issue as people were mentioning, video freezes and (outside of video) issues where the sound continues to play but the image is frozen, like in menus.

That said, I can still try and get you a proton log and an Nvidia bug report log while attempting to run the game.

@amrits With 535.54.03 and Proton Hotfix, I’m still seeing the freezing issue.

Before I can even try to get into a game, just going into the settings and trying to change any graphical settings, within like 30 seconds the screen freezes but the game is still active. Hitting Q and E still changes the settings category (I can hear the audio feedback from pressing the buttons).

But the game picture is frozen, and never unfreezes.

I get this Xid error when it happens:

Jun 16 13:05:41 matt-archlinux kernel: NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:0f:00): 109, pid=1090595, name=HaloInfinite.ex, Ch 000000be, errorString CTX SWITCH TIMEOUT, Info 0x7c068

Unfortunately I am unable to reproduce this issue with Halo Infinite(the freeze), I had it on 520 and 525, but 530 and 535 no crashes, in addition VKD3D made changes to reduce crashes/freezes on nvidia gpus.

Perhaps it could be related to different hardware, can you share specs + which kernel you use ?
Also that Xid error seems related to the multiple Xid error crashes which some people experience.

Unfortunately I am unable to reproduce this issue with Halo Infinite(the freeze), I had it on 520 and 525, but 530 and 535 no crashes, in addition VKD3D made changes to reduce crashes/freezes on nvidia gpus.

I’ve tried several kernels. Going back from when I first commented (so probably 6.3.5, 6.3.6, 6.3.7 of linux, linux-zen, and linux-tkg).

My hardware is an EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3090.

And I want to reiterate, 100% of my Halo infinite crashes are the exact “visuals freezing while input and audio continue to work” bug that was reported before I commented.

Also that Xid error seems related to the multiple Xid error crashes which some people experience.

It’s the only Halo Infinite Xid error I got, unfortunately.

It also happens with all Proton versions, including Hotfix.

Which Desktop Environment, maybe the window manager behaves differently which triggers the hang/freeze ?
Is it possible to try with gamescope and update with the results ?