Possibility having different version between nvml version and cuda version.

I’m using nvml to support computing environment for our users and planning to offer CUDA version information to them by implemented software including NVML.

However, I just can get the version information about GPUs driver and nvml only by NVIDIA Management Library function, so I’m not quite sure that I can give the right version information to my users.

As I understand, since CUDA toolkit contains NVIDIA Management Library, if I install new CUDA version on my environment, the NVML version would be same as the CUDA version but I concern … a possibility that it will be varied each other.

CUDA toolkit contains only header file “include/nvml.h” and “stub” library “lib64/stubs/libnvidia-ml.so” (null functions, check with “readelf -a lib64/stubs/libnvidia-ml.so”).

[root@centos75 /usr/local/cuda]# ls -l lib64/stubs/libnvidia-ml.so 
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 31664 Oct 28 21:22 lib64/stubs/libnvidia-ml.so

True library is distributed ONLY with driver.

[root@centos75 /usr/local/cuda]# ls -l /usr/lib64/libnvidia-ml.so*
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root      17 Mar 18 17:26 /usr/lib64/libnvidia-ml.so -> libnvidia-ml.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root      23 Mar 18 17:26 /usr/lib64/libnvidia-ml.so.1 -> libnvidia-ml.so.390.115
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 1314560 Mar 18 17:26 /usr/lib64/libnvidia-ml.so.390.115

There can be only ONE driver and ONE NVML library installed (driver from standard distribution or driver from CUDA package (optional)).