"provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain" error using CUB

Hello all,

This morning, I was suddenly facing a provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain error. I came across this post and this answer, but neither of these resolved my problem.

In the end, I made a new project to see if this would help, but it did not. Upon some modification of my code, I received the following additional error messages:

CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\agent\../util_device.cuh, 378]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\agent\../util_device.cuh, 471]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\device\dispatch/dispatch_radix_sort.cuh, 1301]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\agent\../util_device.cuh, 471]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\device\dispatch/dispatch_radix_sort.cuh, 1301]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\agent\../util_device.cuh, 471]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\device\dispatch/dispatch_radix_sort.cuh, 1301]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\agent\../util_device.cuh, 471]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\device\dispatch/dispatch_radix_sort.cuh, 1301]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\agent\../util_device.cuh, 471]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\device\dispatch/dispatch_radix_sort.cuh, 1301]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\agent\../util_device.cuh, 471]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\device\dispatch/dispatch_radix_sort.cuh, 1301]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\agent\../util_device.cuh, 471]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\device\dispatch/dispatch_radix_sort.cuh, 1301]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\agent\../util_device.cuh, 471]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\device\dispatch/dispatch_reduce.cuh, 653]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\agent\../util_device.cuh, 471]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\device\dispatch/dispatch_reduce.cuh, 653]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\agent\../util_device.cuh, 471]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\device\dispatch/dispatch_reduce.cuh, 653]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\agent\../util_device.cuh, 471]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\device\dispatch/dispatch_reduce.cuh, 653]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\agent\../util_device.cuh, 471]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain. CUDA error 222 [C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v11.2\include\cub\device\dispatch/dispatch_reduce.cuh, 653]: the provided PTX was compiled with an unsupported toolchain.

It appears using CUB is giving these errors. However, CUB is essential to my project, hence I cannot go without using it. Any workarounds or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It indicates a mismatch between driver and compilation toolchain. Not having any other details (GPU in use, CUDA version in use from nvcc --version, GPU driver version) from you, I can’t be specific. My recommendation (based on the 11.2 in your cub path) would be to update your driver to the latest one available for your GPU. If your driver is less 460.39, I would update your driver.

I am using a GTX 1050 on a laptop, which is of Compute Capability 6.1, CUDA Toolkit 11.2 and my driver version is 461.40. I am using Nsight Visual Studio version 2020.3.0.20315.

EDIT: I thought my driver had been updated but it in fact was not. Updating the driver resolved the issue perfectly, thank you.