Quadro rtx 8000 Out of Memory with everything

Hi, I have several scripts using tensorflow, pytorch, etc leveraging CUDA/cdnn. They all worked with my gtx 1080. I upgraded to a quadro rtx 8000. Now the same scripts that loaded models and trained, all cause CUDA out of memory errors (unless I set params to very small content much smaller than limits of gtx 1080).

Specifically the out of memory error is always failing to allocate 32 gb of gpu ram. I have 48 gb but why is cuda always trying to allocate 32? These are trivial training scripts. The same scripts allocate 2 gb when I run them on the 8 gb gtx 1080.

Could this be because I only have 32 gb of CPU ram (less than the 48 of gpu ram?). And this is causing problems?

I just ordered 64gb of cpu ram and will receive it tomorrow and install. Will keep you posted, but any other ideas?

I have tried too many nvidia graphics drivers to list including the very newest. At the moment I set drivers to 441.22. I’ve tried many versions though, all claiming to support quadro 8000. Vr, however, runs great!

Windows 10, 64 bit here. Very weird.

I do not have hands-on experience with a high-end system with your specifications. Across a diverse set of use cases that include deep learning apps, a general recommendation is to provide system memory that is at least 2x the size of the memory of all GPUs in the system combined, and ideally 4x the amount of total GPU memory.

I vaguely recall that Windows memory management in particular has requirements for GPU memory backing store, so this may be the immediate root cause for your observations.

The size of those allocations is likely driven by TensorFlow and/or PyTorch. Have you checked into that?

i increased the pagefile to 32 gb making the physical + virtual 64 gb to surpass the 48 gb of the card and the error went away! Posting for anyone else with this issue.

1 Like