RTSP server usage

I see that there as a gst-rtsp-server project to create your own rtsp server.
all of the examples seem to have a launch string like:

test-launch “videotestsrc is-live=true ! x264enc ! rtph264pay name=pay0 pt=96”

however I want to ‘publish’ to the rtsp server with a pipeline like:

gst-launch-1.0 myvideocamerasrc ! h264enc ! rtspclientsink location=rtsp://127.0.0.1:8554/mystream

and then connect to the rtsp server with vlc by navigating to rtsp://server-ip:8554/mystream

so i’m confused on how to use the rtsp-server part as this seems too have 2 sources… ( videotestsrc and myvideocamerasrc )

if i start rtsp-simple-server it just works… but this is a bit too heavy for my liking… how can i do the same using gst-rtsp-server ?

Hi,
A easy way is to launch rtsp server through test-launch. Please refer to steps in Jetson Nano FAQ

Q: Is there any example of running RTSP streaming?

Thanks @DaneLLL ,

i referred to test-launch in my question. It looks like i have to supply a source in test-launch as well.

my question is how does this work in combination with a stand-alone gst-launch-1.0 pipeline ?

I have multiple pipelines that are started using gst-launch-1.0 and in the end i want to ‘publish’ the output as a rtsp stream.

maybe this is not possible with the gst-rtsp-server, because the whole pipeline needs to run in the test-launch program ? but i was hoping that it would work like rtsp-simple-server where i can start that server (without any launch pipeline) and just ‘publish’ to it using rtspclientsink, and ‘subscribe’ to it using vlc rtsp://serverip:port/mystream

is this possible with the gst-rtsp-server ?

Hi,
For using test-launch, you can run like:

test-launch "myvideocamerasrc ! x264enc ! rtph264pay name=pay0 pt=96"

And receive the RTSP stream on another PC through VLC player.

If you need further use-case than this, would need other users to share experience.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.