I worked through the performance section of the documentation and saw a few threads here but just wanted to confirm that these numbers are off/that there is room for optimization?
I am starting off with a grid of 500x500 positions shooting straight down. Depending on what they hit in 70% of the cases the ray just dies. In the remaining 30% I spawn another 50k rays in a cone. The lowest y position of those 50k is what I then report back.
The scene has roughly 400k vertices 130k triangles, 3 different materials, the structure is as flat as possible. (However the ~250 input meshes are each their own geometryInstance. I tried merging them all into one per material, but the effect was minimal)
The payload data is also minimal, just a struct with one float4.
With RTX on and using the triangles functions this takes between 6 and 10 seconds.
All in all this results in ~170 million rays / 6 = 28 mil rays per second on a 2080 RTX, which seems low to me.
I read in another thread that I should try getting the amount of launch indexes up, so I am trying to do that.
Any other ideas what I could try? (I also made sure ray types are properly set, max depth, there are no erros etc.)