Severe stability issue with nvidia 367.18 driver

Can’t be. That particular crash was fixed in gnome-shell 3.20.2 which I have installed.
I also don’t get crashes under the 364.19 driver.
If you look at the backtrace in the first page of this thread, it is crashing in nvidia_drv.so while the crash you linked to is was a gnome-shell issue (meaning it is crashing somewhere else).
Let us wait for input from NVIDIA developers.

I may actually have an possble idea what may be happening but no way to interact in real-time with a NVIDIA developer to troubleshoot (and my assumptions may be wrong as well since I don’t know how the Xorg driver operates).
Here is what I think may be happening (and I may be completely wrong):

On the 364.19 and earlier drivers, switching TTY and back to the one where Gnome is running causes an increase in memory used by Xorg, gnome-shell, and any sdl1 applications (it was explained to me on irc why this happens).
My intuition is that my crash in beta driver is possibly triggered by the function/mechanics I mentioned above. But only NVIDIA developers can tell if my assumption is correct or not.

You may be right that it is not related to your problem. However, just so you know, the fix for that issue is not in 3.20.2.

The commit is titled “st: Init framebuffer early to fix gnome-shell crash on NVIDIA drivers”

It is here: st: Init framebuffer early to fix gnome-shell crash on NVIDIA drivers (5226d8b0) · Commits · GNOME / gnome-shell · GitLab

I believe the Arch package maintainer just added a patch.

I just reinstalled gnome-shell and made sure that patch is applied while compiling. Xorg still crashed after a reboot. This really really is not caused by gnome-shell or arch linux. Rest assured that I know how to tell which part of the desktop is crashing.

Is there anything else I can do to provide helpful information?

I sent an email to linux-bugs@nvidia.com with one of the games that trigger the crash (data + source code link). There are other ways to trigger this but this should be the fastest way.
The email subject header is “Regarding bug 200202593”.
New nvidia-bug-report Dropbox - File Deleted

Again, if you can tell me how to get a good backtrace, I can do so.

Edit: I also just emailed a coredump of Xorg. It is generated by systemd.

coredumpctl gdb can read it. But I need debug symbols for the nvidia xorg driver. it seems you guys strip it.

backtrace with debug version of Xorg-server http://pastebin.com/raw/BmxiPcSq

nvidia-bug-report-jun1.log.gz (52.4 KB)

Hi HussamT, Xorg and gnome-shell and gnome verison ? what 3d game you are runnning ? what two instances of an OpenGL game you are running ?

sandipt, Gnome version is 3.20.2 , Xorg-server 1.18.3 , gnome-shell 3.20.2 (latest from gnome-3-20 branch) Commits · gnome-3-20 · GNOME / gnome-shell · GitLab
Game: www.Eternal-Lands.com - The Official Eternal Lands Website! for data
but you will need to compile the client from GitHub - raduprv/Eternal-Lands
gcc 6.1.1
linux kernel 4.6.1

Hello. Any news on this bug?
Arch Linux updated to this driver version and the package maintainer said it is no longer marked as beta on nvidia werbsite.
For now I can refrain from updating but I can’t do that forever when there are updated Xorg or Linux kernel versions.

I just borrowed my 430GT card
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
and this one has no issue.
I returned it to its owner and reinstalled my 630 card and the problem is back.
So this problem is only in the 630GT card.

No crashes so far after updating to 367.27 driver!