Should parameter be counted when estimating register use?

As the ptx reference says, data in the .param section would be available only after a load to register command( ld.param ). Considering I use a param in the main loop in my program, and I am seriously concerned about how many register is being used, in this case, does the ld.param operation consume a register physically?

PS: If a register must be used when ld.param is called, is there any other method to help me saving register use? Thanks!

As the ptx reference says, data in the .param section would be available only after a load to register command( ld.param ). Considering I use a param in the main loop in my program, and I am seriously concerned about how many register is being used, in this case, does the ld.param operation consume a register physically?

PS: If a register must be used when ld.param is called, is there any other method to help me saving register use? Thanks!

You don’t need to estimate register usage at all. The -v flag to ptxas (or the --ptxas-options=-v flag to nvcc) will print out the final number of registers used per thread after register allocation has been performed.

You don’t need to estimate register usage at all. The -v flag to ptxas (or the --ptxas-options=-v flag to nvcc) will print out the final number of registers used per thread after register allocation has been performed.