Single-channel (Red only) .exr files are black on import/export

Basically, the title says it: Whenever I import a grayscale .exr file which only has one channel (Red) - the texture is displayed as 100% black.

I tried using every format possible (BC4u, L8, etc…), but it doesn’t change anything.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Mr.Kleiner!

Thanks for the bug report - I’ve been able to reproduce it with another Quixel image. It looks like this is a bug in the FreeImage library nvtt_export uses to load EXR files: when the input has only 1 or 2 channels, it tries to load the “Y” channel of the EXR file. However, the single channel in Quixel displacement maps is named “A”; since OpenEXR can’t find a channel named “Y”, it fills the channel with a default value (in this case, black).

I’ll be working on a fix for this (a workaround is to open the .exr file in a hex editor and change byte 0x1C from an “A” to a “Y”, but that’s not a very easy workaround).

Thanks again!

I appreciate such a quick response, thank you!

Hi Mr.Kleiner,

Quick update - we released Texture Tools Exporter version 2023.1.0 today, which now includes a version of FreeImage with this fix! When loading an OpenEXR file with a single channel, it will now load that channel, regardless of its name.

Thanks,

–Neil

Amazing! Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.