structure pack issue

When I copy an instance of the following structure from Visual Studio C++ code to CUDA code I get erroneous results.

struct DimmVars

{  

uint2 dimData;

uint2 dimSegment;  

unsigned * pSrc;

};

Some further investigation tells me that the sizes of the structure in C++ is different then in CUDA.

printf("Sizeof DimmVars: %d \r\n", sizeof(_dimmVars));

In Visual C++ this prints: Sizeof DimmVars: 20

In Cuda this prints: Sizeof DimmVars: 24

I thought this was a pack issue, but #pragma pack(show) tells me that pragma size is for c++ the default (8) (cuda does not support this feature). So I’m a little bit lost, and am not sure how to solve the problem. Can anybody help?

PS: Compilation is done for 32bit.

I found the solution.

Apparantly the built-in types are defined to be aligned on a 8 byte boundary. The problem is that this is done only for the CUDA compiler.

An example type:

/*DEVICE_BUILTIN*/

struct __builtin_align__(8) uint2

{

unsigned int x, y;

};

The builtin_align is defined for the CUDA compiler, but not for the GCC/MSVC compiler, as a result the data is most likely aligned differently. So when you copy a structure containing this type from Visual C++ to CUDA, data can be misaligned (depending on the layout of the structure).

For me, the solution was to modify the structure definition to:

struct DimmVars

{  

uint2 __align__(8) dimData;

uint2 __align__(8) dimSegment;    

unsigned * pSrc;

};

My suggestion is to at least mention this in the CUDA SDK Sample for the CPP-integration project, which shows how simple it is to use built-in types in C++ code.