Tao and W&B

I am trying to make Weights and Biases work on tao (as it works in NeMo). I am running the asr-python-advanced-finetune-am-citrinet-tao-finetuning.ipynb notebook and modifying the cells to pass the underlying params to the train function with no luck…

!tao speech_to_text_citrinet train \
     -e $SPECS_DIR/speech_to_text_citrinet/train_citrinet_bpe.yaml \
     -g 1 \
     -k $KEY \
     -r $RESULTS_DIR/citrinet/train \
     training_ds.manifest_filepath=$DATA_DIR/an4_converted/train_manifest.json \
     validation_ds.manifest_filepath=$DATA_DIR/an4_converted/test_manifest.json \
     trainer.max_epochs=1 \
     training_ds.num_workers=4 \
     validation_ds.num_workers=4 \
     model.tokenizer.dir=$DATA_DIR/an4/tokenizer_spe_unigram_v32 \
     exp_manager.create_wandb_logger=True \
     exp_manager.wandb_logger_kwargs.name=run \
     exp_manager.wandb_logger_kwargs.project=tao

and I get the following error:

2022-07-19 17:41:00,138 [INFO] root: Registry: ['nvcr.io']
2022-07-19 17:41:00,236 [INFO] tlt.components.instance_handler.local_instance: Running command in container: nvcr.io/nvidia/tao/tao-toolkit-pyt:v3.22.05-py3
2022-07-19 17:41:00,518 [WARNING] tlt.components.docker_handler.docker_handler: 
Docker will run the commands as root. If you would like to retain your
local host permissions, please add the "user":"UID:GID" in the
DockerOptions portion of the "/home/tcapelle/.tao_mounts.json" file. You can obtain your
users UID and GID by using the "id -u" and "id -g" commands on the
terminal.
[NeMo W 2022-07-19 17:41:11 nemo_logging:349] /home/jenkins/agent/workspace/tlt-pytorch-main-nightly/conv_ai/asr/speech_to_text_ctc/scripts/train.py:159: UserWarning: 
    'train_citrinet_bpe.yaml' is validated against ConfigStore schema with the same name.
    This behavior is deprecated in Hydra 1.1 and will be removed in Hydra 1.2.
    See https://hydra.cc/docs/next/upgrades/1.0_to_1.1/automatic_schema_matching for migration instructions.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hydra/_internal/utils.py", line 211, in run_and_report
    return func()
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hydra/_internal/utils.py", line 368, in <lambda>
    lambda: hydra.run(
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hydra/_internal/hydra.py", line 87, in run
    cfg = self.compose_config(
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hydra/_internal/hydra.py", line 564, in compose_config
    cfg = self.config_loader.load_configuration(
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hydra/_internal/config_loader_impl.py", line 146, in load_configuration
    return self._load_configuration_impl(
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hydra/_internal/config_loader_impl.py", line 262, in _load_configuration_impl
    ConfigLoaderImpl._apply_overrides_to_config(config_overrides, cfg)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hydra/_internal/config_loader_impl.py", line 378, in _apply_overrides_to_config
    OmegaConf.update(cfg, key, value, merge=True)
  File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/omegaconf/omegaconf.py", line 724, in update
    assert isinstance(
AssertionError: Unexpected type for root: NoneType
2022-07-19 17:41:13,827 [INFO] tlt.components.docker_handler.docker_handler: Stopping container.

I am already passing the wandb api key via an env variable in the tao_mounts.json file.
Any tips on how to debug the issue?

Could you share the link where did you download this .ipynb?

Please download the official notebook from TAO Toolkit Quick Start Guide — TAO Toolkit 3.22.05 documentation

My bad, this is the one I am using, it’s on the official Riva examples repo. I edited the link. I want to try the one from Sven afterwards, but I am starting out by figuring out how to get the W&B args passed to the underlying NeMo

There is no update from you for a period, assuming this is not an issue anymore.
Hence we are closing this topic. If need further support, please open a new one.
Thanks

Could you login the docker and debug /opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/omegaconf/omegaconf.py to check what is happening?
$ tao speech_to_text_citrinet run /bin/bash

$ vim /opt/conda/lib/python3.8/site-packages/omegaconf/omegaconf.py

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.