Titan Black double-precision Access Denied - does this explain it?

Hi, I’ve got a Titan Black that I occasionally use for double-precision fluid calculations. I noticed a few months ago that it won’t allow double precision at the moment - or at least, not at the 1/3 level, only at the 1/24 level, which defeats the purpose for me buying it. Each time I try to set ‘Double Precision’ to ‘Titan Black’ in the Nvidia control panel it, when I go to save the settings it says, “Access Denied”, but has no further information. It allows every other setting to be updated, as far as I can tell. Trying Nvidia support it has gone to a second level of support and has disappeared into a black hole.

I’ve been keeping up with all the latest drivers even when I hadn’t been using the card for double precision work at all, but I don’t seem to have a copy of an earlier driver that I know worked.

I tried Nvidia-SMI the other day and was surprised by a couple of the entries. Can anyone say what is wrong here?

±----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 436.30 Driver Version: 436.30 CUDA Version: 10.1 |
|-------------------------------±---------------------±---------------------+
| GPU Name TCC/WDDM | Bus-Id Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan Temp Perf Pwr:Usage/Cap| Memory-Usage | GPU-Util Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
| 0 GeForce GTX TIT… WDDM | 00000000:01:00.0 On | N/A |
| 26% 25C P8 13W / 250W | 356MiB / 6144MiB | 2% Default |
±------------------------------±---------------------±---------------------+

| Processes: GPU Memory |
| GPU PID Type Process name Usage |
|=============================================================================|
| 0 1292 C+G …mmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe N/A |
| 0 2524 C+G …6)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe N/A |
| 0 3976 C+G …12011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Video.UI.exe N/A |
| 0 4608 C+G …dows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe N/A |
| 0 5428 C+G …osoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy\LockApp.exe N/A |
| 0 6924 C+G C:\Windows\explorer.exe N/A |
| 0 8324 C+G …1006.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\YourPhone.exe N/A |
| 0 8396 C+G … Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe N/A |
| 0 8648 C+G …t_cw5n1h2txyewy\ShellExperienceHost.exe N/A |
| 0 9156 C+G …x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Microsoft.Photos.exe N/A |
| 0 11396 C+G …)\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop\Skype.exe N/A |
| 0 11564 C+G …)\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop\Skype.exe N/A |
| 0 12740 C+G Insufficient Permissions N/A |
| 0 13784 C+G …5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe N/A |
| 0 14468 C+G …86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe N/A |
| 0 14772 C+G …DIA GeForce Experience\NVIDIA Share.exe N/A |
| 0 15068 C+G …8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\WinStore.App.exe N/A |
WARNING: infoROM is corrupted at gpu 0000:01:00.0

How did the insufficient permissions bit come about? Could that be it? And what about the infoROM being corrupted? Is it significant and am I able to fix that?

I’m running windows 10 by the way.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment

Mike

This post may be of interest (or maybe not):

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1057671/cuda-programming-and-performance/theoretical-sp-dp-gflops-of-titan-black-when-dp-mode-on-off-/post/5363306/#5363306

I don’t think the insufficient permissions notation in the nvidia-smi output is a problem. That just means nvidia-smi application does not have permission to access certain information about other windows processes. It might be that if you ran nvidia-smi as adminstrator you wouldn’t see that, but you still might. It’s a windows thing and pretty common in my experience.

If you can’t make the change described in the attached thread/screen shot, and you get “Access Denied” when you click apply, then maybe you need to run the control panel as administrator (if there is such a thing, see here: https://superuser.com/questions/663308/how-do-i-run-control-panel-as-administrator ) or maybe you have a corrupted system where the file permissions on the settings file are messed up. You might be able to fix that with an OS reload or possibly a complete driver wipe (DDU) and reload.

Regarding the corrupted InfoROM, that warning, if it persists through reboots and driver updates, is indicative of a card that is basically broken. The nature of the corruption will determine what functionality is affected, from basically nothing to a serious impairment of card behavior. if the condition persists, there isn’t anything you can do to fix it, and there is no way to get further info about it, so I can’t tell you exactly what it means and/or exactly how to find out exactly in what way the card behavior might be impacted.