Unable to detect external monitors in Ubuntu - RTX 2080.

Hi,
Issue: Unable to detect external monitors.

I have installed Nvidia RTX 2080 driver for Ubuntu. And upon installation, the two external monitors connected via thunderbolt port and HDMi get detected but the laptop screen went blank. I did not understand the code present in Nvidia settings. No matter what I did I couldn’t get my laptop screen back. The screen illuminates when I change brightness. it just wouldn’t display Ubuntu desktop background.

Later, I deleted the xorg.conf file in etc/v11/ and I got my laptop screen back but then I lost the settings for the external monitors. And Ubuntu isn’t automatically detecting the external monitors.

How do I fix this issue? I have an Asus ROG G703GX laptop.

Please help!

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting .gz file to your post. Hovering the mouse over an existing post of yours will reveal a paperclip icon.
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1043347/announcements/attaching-files-to-forum-topics-posts/

@generix COuld you please provide me a link to where I can find the nvidia-bug-report.sh file?

Sorry! Never mind.
Just ran the command as root and it ran. Attached is the report that you have requested. Let me know if you need anything else.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.12 MB)

My email address is dheeraj.gadhiraju@gmail.com. Feel free to email me directly. Thanks.

It’s an Optimus (hybrid graphics) system so you shouldn’t use the .run installer. Please uninstall it using the --uninstall option. Then:

I tried sudo apt install nvidia-driver-418 and I got the below error.

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-418
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
nvidia-driver-418 : Depends: xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-418 (= 418.56-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libnvidia-cfg1-418 (= 418.56-0ubuntu0~gpu18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Please assist.

Please upgrade your HWE stack, then retry.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack