Undefined reference to 'pghpf_0l'

Hello,

I am currently evaluating the use of the 7.1-3 release over the 5.2-4 release we currently use for the Linux version of the Fortran 77 compiler. I have encountered a few ‘undefined reference’ errors at link time, most of which I have been able to fix, save for this one:

This is the error:

/opt/pgi-7.1.3/linux86-64/7.1-3/lib/libpghpf_smp.a(init_smp.o): In function __hpf_begpar': /usr/pgrel/extract/x86/7.1/rte/hpf/lib-linux86-64/../src-smp/init.c:252: undefined reference to pghpf_0l_’
/usr/pgrel/extract/x86/7.1/rte/hpf/lib-linux86-64/…/src-smp/init.c:252: undefined reference to pghpf_0l_' /usr/pgrel/extract/x86/7.1/rte/hpf/lib-linux86-64/../src-smp/init.c:252: undefined reference to pghpf_0l_’
/usr/pgrel/extract/x86/7.1/rte/hpf/lib-linux86-64/…/src-smp/init.c:252: undefined reference to `pghpf_0l_’
c

This is for a Linux box running CentOS 5. Is this possibly an installation error (I did not perform the installation) or is it a matter of not linking with the proper library?

Thank you in advance for the help,

Charles Boivin

Hi Charles,

Thank you for reporting a problem to us. We have filed a TPR#14335 for this bug.

Hongyon

Thank you Hongyon,

Where can I keep track of the status of this TPR?

Charles

Hi Charles,

Our engineer says that pghpf_01 should be defined in the user’s pghpf-compiled objects.

There are a few questions that we need answer:
What are you trying to link? pghpf-compiled objects or pgf77-compiled objects?

What command is being used to perform the link?

TPR status should be listed in a release notes of each release. If you want to know the status of this tpr, you can post it here or email trs@pgroup.com

Hongyon

Hi,

I can provide more details on the specific commands used for the link stage. However, I’d rather not provide all those specific details here as it is a public forum. Is there an email address I can reach you at?

Thank you,

Charles

Please send to trs@pgroup.com and describe that you have posted on user forum and ask them to pass information to me.

Thanks,
Hongyon

Hi,

Did you send mail to trs@pgroup.com yet? I asked trs and they said they didn’t receive e-mail regarding the issue.

Hongyon

Hi Hongyon,

No, I haven’t done that just yet. I have been away from work for the past few days. I should be getting to this later today. Thank you!

Charles

Hi Charles,

Can you please send detail to trs@pgroup.com, mentioning this user forum. We need a test case that fail in order to investigate and fix the problem.

Thank you,
Hongyon

I am not so modest about my link line

pgf77 -Bstatic dsvdreadmm.o mmcsr.o /home/gwhowell/apps/ARPACK/libarpack_pgi64.a -L/usr/local/apps/acml/acml4.3.0/pgi64_mp/lib -lacml_mp -lacml_mv …/BLASSM/matvec.o …/MATGEN/FDIF/genmat.o …/MATGEN/FDIF/functns.o sparcolgen.o rmio.o timw3.o /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/3.4.3/libg2c.a -lpgmp -lpgf90 -lpghpf_smp -lpghpf2 -L/usr/local/pgi/linux86-64/7.2-2/libso -lpgnuma -lpgbind -L/usr/local/apps/acml/acml/4.3.9/pgi64_mp/lib -lacml_mp -o dsvd5

Similarly with pgf90

By using

nm -A *.a | grep …

I was able to track down most of the undefined references … but not this one …

Hi Gary,

I’ve been trying to recreate this error but haven’t been able to. The symbol “pghpf_0l” gets add to objects compiled with pghpf. However, it’s only referenced in the HPF initialization routine so it’s unclear where the reference is coming from.

Please run the command 'nm | grep pghpf_0l" on all your objects and libraries where the reference is coming from. Then let me know how this object is compiled.

Thanks,
Mat