Unreal with DLSS 3.5 - Should TSR be enabled

By default, the Unreal Project…Engine…Render settings have the aliasing method set to TSR.

When using DLSS, should I set the aliasing method to none instead?

Doesnt DLSS replace the need for TSR?

Thanks for any advice

Hello @robertcober, welcome back to the forums.

Yes, DLSS Super resolution will replace Temporal Super Resolution that is native top Unreal Engine, so you will need to disable it. otherwise DLSS will show you a warning that another SR algorithm is already active and bail out.

I hope that helps!

Hi,

Maybe I’m wrong, but I just spent hours trying to figure out why DLSS wasn’t working in my project, in the editor viewport or when compiling and running. The logs, commands, everything was set perfectly and reading perfectly. Turns out the issue was the fact I turned off TSR and set it to None! Once I turned TSR back on it seems that DLSS now over-wrote it and functioned as expected! So this may actually mislead people such as me if they’re advised to turn off TSR. This was in NvRTX 5.3 (April 23 update). Cheers.

Same thing with UE 5.3

Hello @rfpm, welcome to the NVIDIA developer forums.

What happens under the hood is that r.TemporalAA.Upscaler is set to 1, which should be set by default. (Check DLSS_Super_Resolution_Quick_Start_Guide for details)

My comment from October was a bit too vague in that general Temporal Upscaling needs to be enabled, you just should not change the specific method used anymore after enabling DLSS.

I am sorry for that.

1 Like

No worries at all, thanks for getting back and clearing that up to!

Hi @rfpm ,

Does that mean you need to keep the value of r.AntiAliasingMethod on 4(which is TSR) in order to make DLSS function?
Or is it only r.TemporalAA.Upscaler which need to be set to 1?

Hi @MarkusHoHo,

Could you please answer my last question?

Kind regards,
Szilard