Updating GLX to version 1.3 on Ubuntu 18.04

I have the following question: for the purpose of visualisation of some point clouds with GLFW library and Open3D, I would like to upgrade GLX to version 1.3 on Ubuntu 18.04. Here’s the result of nvidia-smi:

The glxinfo | grep version command yields 1.2 and any attempt at visualising results in a GLFW/Open3D fatal error, as GLFW requires GLX 1.3. So far I tried the commonly advised xorg-edgers PPA, but to no avail (Ubuntu 18.04 is not supported by it). I am not a very experienced Linux user and I am currently out of ideas. I will greatly appreciate any help.

There’s no Xserver running on the nvidia card, so I guess you’re trying to run over ssh using indirect glx or inside a virtual Xserver like xrdp or on a server graphics. In any case, only software rendering is used.
You’ll have to use a real Xserver on the nvidia card or at least set up VirtualGL depending on your use-case (which I don’t know).

Thank you! Could you tell me how to use the Xserver? As I said, I am quite new to all that, sorry for a noobish question. :)

Please tell me about the hardware used and what you’re trying to achieve.

The hardware is GeForce RTX 2070 with the (apparently) latest driver 460. To be precise, I wanted to try out a Github repo involving, among other things, displaying 3D objects (point clouds) by means of a Python Open3D library. Under its hood there is a CPP library called FLGW, which needs GLX 1.3 in order to display anything. If GLX 1.3 is absent, FLGW throws a fatal error and nothing is displayed, which is precisely what is happening to me. :)

Desktop or server?
local or remote?
Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

It is a remote desktop, but as for the rest, I will post the details later, as I have no access to this computer now. Thanks!

All right - it works! Apparently, it was some VNC-related issue that I can’t fathom, but after a reboot and VNC reconfiguration, GLX is upgraded to 1.4. Thanks for your help!

Hello, I encountered the same problem as you. Can you explain in detail how to solve it?