using usb3 copy large file from /home/nvidia/Downloads to /media/nvidia/harddisk/(ssd)

hi

I have a NVIDIA Jetson AGX Xavier Developer Kit, and I want to save camera video to my ssd using USB3, But when I copyed a large file from /home/nvidia/Downloads to ssd, I find it’s too slow,21.5M/S.

lsusb -t
/: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=tegra-xusb/4p, 10000M
|__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=uas, 5000M
/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=tegra-xusb/4p, 480M
|__ Port 4: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
|__ Port 4: Dev 4, If 1, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M

Thank you!

And When do the same thing using my computer, the speed is about 130M/s.

Huh. It’s connected and identified as a USB3 device but the speed should certainly be better than that. Is the read speed slow as well if you do a ‘sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda’, assuming your ssd is /dev/sda? You may have to ‘sudo apt install hdparm’ if hdparm is not found.

Thank you for reply. Yes, hdparm -tT /dev/sda1, read speed very good.
Timing cached reads, 2563MB/S
Timing buffered disk reads,274M/S.

And my write speed is 20 too.

Finally, I format it to ext4 in xavier system, and the speed is 450M/S now.

You’re welcome. The fileysstem can make a big difference. So can cache on the drive. Most consumer level SSDs have a small amount of fast flash backing a large amount of slow flash. The controller on the drive moves things around so that you don’t notice it, but if you try to copy a very large file which exhausts the cache, speed can slow down a lot. I have an intel 660p which is particular bad. When the cache runs out, it’s slower than a good spinning disk.