What is the difference: cuda Limit Persisting L2CacheSize,access Policy Max WindowSize,persisting L2Cache MaxSize

I see this in guide, what is the difference?

3.2.3.7. Query L2 cache Properties
Properties related to L2 cache are a part of cudaDeviceProp struct and can be queried using CUDA runtime API cudaGetDeviceProperties
CUDA Device Properties include:
l2CacheSize: The amount of available L2 cache on the GPU.
persistingL2CacheMaxSize: The maximum amount of L2 cache that can be set-aside for persisting memory accesses.
accessPolicyMaxWindowSize: The maximum size of the access policy window.
3.2.3.8. Control L2 Cache Set-Aside Size for Persisting Memory Access
The L2 set-aside cache size for persisting memory accesses is queried using CUDA runtime API cudaDeviceGetLimit and set using CUDA runtime API cudaDeviceSetLimit as a cudaLimit. The maximum value for setting this limit is cudaDeviceProp::persistingL2CacheMaxSize.
enum cudaLimit {
/* other fields not shown */
cudaLimitPersistingL2CacheSize
};

You are quoting the explanation of the three terms. What exactly is your question?

I guess these three terms are the same? They are all looking for the max persistant L2 size?

They are not the same. Your quote explains their meaning.

For A100, I see

1. l2CacheSize: 41943040
 2. persistingL2CacheMaxSize: 31457280
 3. accessPolicyMaxWindowSize: 134213632
  1. = l2 cache size
  2. = max amount of l2 cache that can be used for persistent access
  3. = max limit for accessPolicyWindow.num_bytes
1 Like

Thank you very much!!! What is access policy window??

https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-c-best-practices-guide/index.html#l2-cache-access-window

You seem to know the relevant sections in the programming guide and best practices guide. You can easily look it up. I am not going to rephrase the sections for you.

I mean, if I set a window to access persistant L2. So the persistant L2 has up limit as 30MB, but this window’s limit is not 30MB!? That is strange, right?

You can use a hit probability less than 1.0 for windows > cache size

this may be of interest

1 Like

Oh, I understand. That is why I find max window size can be 127MB, even much larger than the L2 size!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.