10 Ways CUDA 6.5 Improves Performance and Productivity

Originally published at: https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/10-ways-cuda-6-5-improves-performance-productivity/

Today we’re excited to announce the release of the CUDA Toolkit version 6.5. CUDA 6.5 adds a number of features and improvements to the CUDA platform, including support for CUDA Fortran in developer tools, user-defined callback functions in cuFFT, new occupancy calculator APIs, and more. CUDA on ARM64 Last year we introduced CUDA on ARM,…

But there are no static libraries included in the toolkit...

Cool story bro!

The static libraries are currently only available on Linux and Mac OS. They have names such as libcublas_static.a. The Windows toolkit currently only has dynamic libraries.

Dear Mark,

If I use Unified Memory Programming in Cuda C version 6.5, program as follows:

char *s;
cudaMallocManaged(&s, size);

1. Will the total number of bytes for size limited by RAM size of my PC or RAM size of the graphics card that contains the GPU?

2. Originally, my program use CPU commands like malloc() to allocate RAM that's used by my program, in order to such RAM locations to be accessed by GPU in additional to CPU access, should I just change the malloc to cudaMallocManaged(), such that CPU can still make use of the original code to access that part of RAM.
Will the change of this command affect the availability of memory resource in GPU?

Thanks.

Regards, Simon

1. Limited by the GPU memory size on current implementation.
2. If you never will touch the data on the GPU, stick with malloc(). If you never touch the data on the CPU, stick with cudaMallocManaged or cudaMalloc. If you share the data between GPU and CPU, use cudaMallocManaged.

Unified Memory allocations with cudaMallocManaged() do use GPU memory -- the allocation is initially owned by the GPU.

Thanks

How can I integrate Cuda 6.5 in Visual Studio 2013 using the Visual C++ Compiler Nov 2013 CTP (CTP_Nov2013) tool set?

Thanks,

A B

I have installed Cuda 5.5 and then upgraded to Cuda 6.5 in my PC. As I am using Visual Studio 2008, I need to use back Cuda 5.5. However, I found that after I installed Cuda 6.5 in my PC, the Nsight pull down manual and corresponding debug function disappeared when I open Visual Studio 2008. How can I restore back the pull down manual and the debug functions?

After you uninstalled the 6.5 toolkit, did you rerun the 5.5 toolkit installer? Doing so may restore NSight VSE.

just try to download CUDA 6.5.14 on my MacPro...true the system preference on the mac but keep saying it fail..running OSX 10.9.4...is this not support on this version of OSX 10.9.4 yet?

Hi Dara -- thanks very much for pointing this out. There was a problem with our content delivery network that hosts the files, which was causing these failures. This should be fixed now; can you try again? Thanks!

Thanks Mark! Just download and install perfectly.

Hi Mark, as stated in other forum CUDA 6.5 apparently understands C++11 even it is not documented. When can we expect CUDA with full C++11 support which will be officially supported?
Thank you, Peter

Hi Mark, as stated in other forum CUDA 6.5 apparently understands C++11 even it is not documented. When can we expect CUDA with full C++11 support which will be officially supported?
Thank you, Peter

I have a Quadro K1000M on my laptop. Will Cuda 6.5 work with this card?

Yes!

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. I installed Visual Studio 2013, and then installed CUDA 6.5, and integration is configured by the CUDA TK installer automatically. This should work for you also.

There is a question:How did it install NVIDIA diaplay drive 340.62 for my GF 320M display card? The drive only for Tesla platforms, Look forward to your reply,Thanks。

http://www.nvidia.com/drivers