1920x1920 resolution on Jetson TX1

Hi,

Does Jetson TX1 board supports 1920x1920 resolution?

We tried to setup this resolution, but got the following X window error:

[ 12.649] (–) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS:
[ 12.650] (WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for “1920x1920”; removing.
[ 12.650] (WW) NVIDIA(0):
[ 12.650] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to validate any modes; falling back to the default mode
[ 12.650] (WW) NVIDIA(0): “nvidia-auto-select”.

We are using JetPack-L4T-2.2.1.

Thanks.

I know JTX1 supports 1920x1080…I’ve never heard of a monitor supporting 1920x1920, and I doubt this mode would be valid in the JTX1 (though I suppose it would be possible, perhaps after modification in the kernel). Is this some form of custom monitor, and does it use HDMI/eDP (or something with EDID query capability)?

Our customer use such monitor. The interesting part is that even if we are trying to add standard resolution using “xrandr”, we can’t do it. We tried also using “xorg.conf” without success. If we want to set some existing resolution using “xrandr” it works. We using standard HDMI output.

Can you post the output from “cat /sys/kernel/debug/tegradc.1/edid” when just that monitor is attached? Also the output from:

sudo -s
get-edid | edid-decode
get-edid | parse-edid
exit

Packages “read-edid” and “edid-decode” may need to be installed to use the latter.

Sorry for a delay. We are still waiting for the customer’s monitor.

Where can I find out how to modify the kernel? I am also interested in getting a custom square resolution from a machine vision camera that would run as a square window in VLC. We need a square resolution because the ROI is circular and we are bumping up against the bandwidth limitation of the camera.

I am not sure how the modification would work. Part of this is in the kernel display controller driver, but you might find other parts are in the X11 source when dealing with 3.x kernel versions (monitor mode setting had some of the X11 software interactions removed from X11 and put into the kernel itself when you reach a version 4.x kernel). I suspect the X11 source would not need modification unless you want to change default fallbacks for EDID failure cases.

I’d dig around in “drivers/video/tegra/dc/”, e.g. “egrep -R 1920” may show lines of code related to 1920x1080 (decimals will be offset in some cases, so starting with 1920 may be valid even if zeros are appended). I don’t know if the hardware itself has some restriction which would make software changes to 1920x1920 invalid even if software says to do so.