440 drivers super choppy & kill video memory, 1080Ti

Full bugreport here, & related ubuntu software & updates bug here, in short:

Xubuntu 20.04, but was the same in 19.10. nvidia-drivers-440 make streaming video laggy/choppy and mean lag is noticeable elsewhere, suggesting video memory is highly depleted. Moving the cursor with keyboard arrows in my coding program showed serious lag until I switched a setting. Easiest way to replicate is just fire up zoom and wave my hand, which shows huge lag. Trying to type while zoom is open (e.g. take minutes) is nightmarish.

Works fine with the open drivers. Before I go down the path of following the proper bug report log file approach, does anyone on the team know if this is a known issue? I looked for “choppy” and “laggy” and “lag” but there are tons of results and none of them looked related enough. I’m aware that the 450 drivers have just pushed and so will feasibly be reaching the official updates repository at some point (any idea when? I see they’re in 20.10 repository but won’t make it to 20.04?), so if this is about to solve itself there’s nothing I need to do.

Equally if the updated drivers are not going to help then I’ll go get the required log files.

Cheers!

Bump. Been a year, NVIDIA drivers still unbearably choppy on 1080Ti in linux (now using latest, 460.67), fine in windows or using Nouveau in linux. Is this the right place to report this software not working properly? I emailed Nvidia support about something else and was told to go here, presumably because they don’t support linux?

Don’t use screen capture. Use window capture. Assuming you are using OBS.

Use NVENC.

I guess you’re running into a known problem, xfwm compositing doesn’t really work with the nvidia driver. Either switch off compositing in xfwm and enable forcecompositionpipeline in xorg.conf or switch to a different compositor/DE.

Thanks folks.

Re OBS/NVENC: this is just chatting on Zoom, I’m not doing any screen recording.

“Either switch off compositing in xfwm and enable forcecompositionpipeline in xorg.conf or switch to a different compositor/DE.”.

Looks like I can do For Full Composition Pipeline in Nvidia X Server Settings potentially? NVIDIA/Troubleshooting - ArchWiki
(Unfortunately I can’t test this because I can’t reenable the nvidia driver thanks to this issue resulting in me having only greyed out options for graphics drivers, thus not being able to re-select nvidia 460.67)

Apparently “you can disable the compositor on xfwm4 startup using the ‘–compositor=off’ argument.” (xfce docs, new users can only post 3 urls) but do you know where I would do this in xorg.conf? There doesn’t seem to be an existing option.

Thanks again!

Sorted thanks to that ArchWiki link.

Thanks @generix . Can’t believe I’ve had this over a year and it was somewhat caused by a broken GUI, and cured by a single tickbox.