About TX1 mini usb port with OTG Host mode

Dear Sir,

Our customer wants to use the mini usb port(USB 2.0) with the host mode when running Linux.
(It also can flash the eMMC with the recovery mode when booting.)

The current status: When I plug the USB flash drive with mini usb to usb cable, it don’t do anything.
I think it needs to config USB OTG host mode.

After reading this topic, I still can’t get the point.
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1039264/force-usb-otg-to-host-mode-on-jetson-tx1/
Is this my answer?

Please modify the device tree
usb_cd {
	status = "disabled";
	phys = <&tegra_padctl_uphy TEGRA_PADCTL_UPHY_UTMI_P(0)>;
	phy-names = "otg-phy";
};

usb2-micro-AB-xusb {
	nvidia,lanes = "otg-0";
	nvidia,function = "xusb";
	nvidia,port-cap =
		<TEGRA_PADCTL_PORT_HOST_ONLY>;
	nvidia,usb3-port-fake = <3>;
};

Can you teach me how to config it?

Thanks.
S.K.

Hi,
It should automatically detect the USB pendrive as storage. Do you use r28 or r32 releases?

Hi DaneLLL,

R28.2
Does this version also automatically detect it without doing anything?

Thanks
S.K.

Hi,
On default carrier board, the function is enabled in the micro AB port. It detects ID pin status to run in host or device mode. It is strange it doesn’t work. Do you use default board or custom carrier board?

Hi DaneLLL,

It’s our custom carrier board.
(This part of layout is itentical with the default board).
I will discuss with our hardware and try it with the default board again.

Thanks.
S.K.

Just a note…if you have the micro-OTG (or some mini variant) hardware, and you did not connect the ID pin, then you cannot succeed. If you do have the ID pin, but you did not set up the device tree regarding that pin, then it will be the same as having not wired the ID pin (although fortunately a device tree is easy to change).

Hi,
If the USB lane mapping is identical to default board, you may check patch for vbus-2-supply.
https://elinux.org/Jetson/TX2_USB#Patched_DTB
vdd_usb2_5v is from gpio expander tca9539. Most custom board removes it and needs the patch.

Hi DaneLLL & linuxdev

Thank you so much.

After discussing with HW co-worker, It automatically detects the USB device with the low state of ID pin.
(I bought a fake OTG cable.)

Yours Sincerely,
S.K.

Do beware that many OTG cables are manufactured to be cheap and expected to be used mainly as a charger cable. Quality will quite often get in the way if you want to actually use the cable for serious data use. In cases where things sort of work, but not completely, think first of trying different cables.