Adding eMMC to Device Tree Xavier

I am trying to edit a device tree to be able to use an eMMC device that is on a custom carrier board. I’ve learned about the device tree data structure and how it’s interpreted. I know how to use dtc tool to convert the existing .dtb file into a .dts file and convert this back into a .dtb file.

The issue I am having is that I don’t know exactly what to add to the .dts file in order for the linux device to recognize this module.

Here are some of my main questions regarding Device Trees:

1. I have been using commands ‘lsblk’ and ‘df’ to check the storage available. Will the eMMC device show up with these commands if the Device Tree is edited correctly?

2. If I make the successful edit to the device tree and I replace the existing .dtb file with the updated .dtb and reboot the machine, will this device be present when I run ‘lsblk’ command? Or are there more steps to make this device discoverable? So essentially I’m asking if during bootup, does the kernel just grab whatever .dtb file is at that location and use it as the blueprint? Is it that simple or is the .dtb file more ‘embedded’ into the kernel than that?

This is my first attempt at editing a device tree so there is a lot of holes in my knowledge that I am trying to figure out.

Thank you for the help.

Hi, @aidan.olvera

I’m sorry this is forum for develop tools-visual profiler and nvprof. I think your question is unrelated and I don’t know how to help.

Please find the proper forum to get answers. Thanks !

@veraj Oh I see, sorry for posting in the wrong forum. Do you think you could at least point me in the direction of a forum that would be able to assist with this? This is literally my first post ever so I’m not sure where I should be posting this. I will remove this post and repost in a different forum soon. Thanks

Hi, @aidan.olvera

I think you can try to ask in forum related with Xavier.

@veraj Got it thank you, I have made a new post in the correct forum. I tried to delete this post but it says only the moderator can do that. Feel free to remove this post.

Thanks ! No worry, I will close it.