any success with 2010 Mac Pro w/ GTX 480?

Hi,

Has anyone here had success working with CUDA on a GTX 480 installed in one of the new 2010 Mac Pro towers from Apple? How about other CUDA devices with the 2010 Mac Pro? Would one expect the GTX 480 to introduce any problems other devices would not?

I’d love to hear any thoughts. Thanks!

uiberto

Yes. There is (to the best of my knowledge) no EFI version of any Fermi GPU available. Until such time as an Intel Mac version of a Fermi GPU is released, you can’t use any Fermi based Geforce, Tesla or Quadro GPU on the Intel Mac platform. G80/90 and GT200 based cards will work, but for now at least, Fermi will not.

Yes. There is (to the best of my knowledge) no EFI version of any Fermi GPU available. Until such time as an Intel Mac version of a Fermi GPU is released, you can’t use any Fermi based Geforce, Tesla or Quadro GPU on the Intel Mac platform. G80/90 and GT200 based cards will work, but for now at least, Fermi will not.

[attachment=18150:480inPro.png]

OK, unless there is something weird about the 2010 Pro compared to the 2008 I disagree with most of this.

1. Provided you can rig up the power there is nothing to stop you using a Fermi card under Bootcamp. I have 480 happily working in 08 Pro alongside official Mac 285 and both show up under CUDA under bootcamp. The 480 is supplied with a 6 and 8 pin supply from a PSU on the top of my Mac.

2. Under OS X the current state of affairs is that if you combine a post-boot injector (to get rid of the EFI issue) and get your paws on that version of the Nvidia driver with the GF100 kext in it you can get a 480 working - sort of. It drives a monitor but gives suboptimal OpenGL scores and is not yet visible under CUDA

3. We suspect that the situation will improve once a Mac Fermi release is made official, but whether the drivers for the card that IS released will support other Quadros and GTXs to full use with a post-boot injector remains a mystery.

So I have full functionality under Windows and am half-way there under OS X - see attached shot for evidence!

[attachment=23537:480inPro.png]

OK, unless there is something weird about the 2010 Pro compared to the 2008 I disagree with most of this.

1. Provided you can rig up the power there is nothing to stop you using a Fermi card under Bootcamp. I have 480 happily working in 08 Pro alongside official Mac 285 and both show up under CUDA under bootcamp. The 480 is supplied with a 6 and 8 pin supply from a PSU on the top of my Mac.

2. Under OS X the current state of affairs is that if you combine a post-boot injector (to get rid of the EFI issue) and get your paws on that version of the Nvidia driver with the GF100 kext in it you can get a 480 working - sort of. It drives a monitor but gives suboptimal OpenGL scores and is not yet visible under CUDA

3. We suspect that the situation will improve once a Mac Fermi release is made official, but whether the drivers for the card that IS released will support other Quadros and GTXs to full use with a post-boot injector remains a mystery.

So I have full functionality under Windows and am half-way there under OS X - see attached shot for evidence!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hi MacFan…

Somewhat like you, I’m getting P*SSED OFF at the seeming lack of “movement” with NVIDIA vs. Apple–they’re not (either of them!)

being very forthcoming with getting ANY NVIDIA card working on a MacPro—unless you go for the FORCED choice of the

ultra-expensive NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 for Mac by PNY—listing for $1,800 US… which is criminal, if you ask me!

Do you have any suggestions how to get (say) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 for Mac, up and running ALONGSIDE the existing card, the ATI Radeon HD 5770 ???

Nobody at Apple, or at NVIDIA, or at EVGA will really grapple with the problem (at least not so far…).

Does anybody reading this have any knowledge of a new “mac friendly” NVIDIA/CUDA card coming “soon”…(say in the next 4 months…)

Please post info here, or send me a PrivateMessage… Thanks! :-)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hi MacFan…

Somewhat like you, I’m getting P*SSED OFF at the seeming lack of “movement” with NVIDIA vs. Apple–they’re not (either of them!)

being very forthcoming with getting ANY NVIDIA card working on a MacPro—unless you go for the FORCED choice of the

ultra-expensive NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 for Mac by PNY—listing for $1,800 US… which is criminal, if you ask me!

Do you have any suggestions how to get (say) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 for Mac, up and running ALONGSIDE the existing card, the ATI Radeon HD 5770 ???

Nobody at Apple, or at NVIDIA, or at EVGA will really grapple with the problem (at least not so far…).

Does anybody reading this have any knowledge of a new “mac friendly” NVIDIA/CUDA card coming “soon”…(say in the next 4 months…)

Please post info here, or send me a PrivateMessage… Thanks! :-)

The web says (and this includes public interviews with Nvidia staff) that a Mac Fermi Quadro 4000 is due in October at a much lower price than the older Q4800, so anyone thinking of buying a new Mac Pro might be advised to wait a few weeks and hope it is a BTO option. If it is not BTO, or if you already have 2010 Pro, then one probably has to remove the Ati and perhaps try a 120 as a boot card to enable a PC 285 in the other slot. I am waiting for the Quadro 4000 before buying anything else, and then will see if I can enable my 480 and maybe a Tesla 2050 with the drivers of it. No idea how well it will work given the lacklustre perf of the GF100 kext,accidentally put out a few weeks ago, with my 480. FYI I had a PC285 working alongside a Mac 285 for months b4 I took it out to try a 480. The Mac 285 has got kinda hard to find now.

I do not mix and Match Ati and Nvidia due to chaos under bootcamp - under OS X it is possible that the Ati 5000 and new Mac Quadro 4000 might coexist happily and allow cross mnfr OpenCL experiments. I will believe it when I see it!

The web says (and this includes public interviews with Nvidia staff) that a Mac Fermi Quadro 4000 is due in October at a much lower price than the older Q4800, so anyone thinking of buying a new Mac Pro might be advised to wait a few weeks and hope it is a BTO option. If it is not BTO, or if you already have 2010 Pro, then one probably has to remove the Ati and perhaps try a 120 as a boot card to enable a PC 285 in the other slot. I am waiting for the Quadro 4000 before buying anything else, and then will see if I can enable my 480 and maybe a Tesla 2050 with the drivers of it. No idea how well it will work given the lacklustre perf of the GF100 kext,accidentally put out a few weeks ago, with my 480. FYI I had a PC285 working alongside a Mac 285 for months b4 I took it out to try a 480. The Mac 285 has got kinda hard to find now.

I do not mix and Match Ati and Nvidia due to chaos under bootcamp - under OS X it is possible that the Ati 5000 and new Mac Quadro 4000 might coexist happily and allow cross mnfr OpenCL experiments. I will believe it when I see it!

In fact, there do have a way to make GTX480 work great on Mac Pro

In fact, there do have a way to make GTX480 work great on Mac Pro

Can you be more explicit about how you got this? I have that same CUDA driver but the GF100 kext in my /System/Library/Extensions is still the same June inadvertent release and the card only half works. What is date on your kext?

Also, how have you injected the card - have you flashed the ROM from some file or is this a post-boot injection, and if so with whose injector?

It would also be useful to know if you have the card working properly. Can you give us OpenGL scores? Is CUDA working under OS X (with me the card is driving a monitor but the OpenGL scores are low and no CUDA)

Can you be more explicit about how you got this? I have that same CUDA driver but the GF100 kext in my /System/Library/Extensions is still the same June inadvertent release and the card only half works. What is date on your kext?

Also, how have you injected the card - have you flashed the ROM from some file or is this a post-boot injection, and if so with whose injector?

It would also be useful to know if you have the card working properly. Can you give us OpenGL scores? Is CUDA working under OS X (with me the card is driving a monitor but the OpenGL scores are low and no CUDA)

Come on nfsking2 - tell us how you did it!!

Come on nfsking2 - tell us how you did it!!

I installed Mac OSX on a PC, with the moded AsereBLN Bootloader, which can inject the GF100.

The OpenGL performance is really poor(almost as same as officially Mac Pro with HD4870), but CUDA is working great.

I didn’t use any injector, cuz I made the DSDT file for my motherboard

Everything WORKS fine but just with poor OpenGL performance, no OpenCL, no V-Sync. And it seems that the temperature can get very high even in idle mode after few hours’ using.

I installed Mac OSX on a PC, with the moded AsereBLN Bootloader, which can inject the GF100.

The OpenGL performance is really poor(almost as same as officially Mac Pro with HD4870), but CUDA is working great.

I didn’t use any injector, cuz I made the DSDT file for my motherboard

Everything WORKS fine but just with poor OpenGL performance, no OpenCL, no V-Sync. And it seems that the temperature can get very high even in idle mode after few hours’ using.

How do you know that CUDA is working?

What CUDA aplication do you test?.

I have a GTX480 working, with 32fps under Cinebench 11.5, working perfectly but no CUDA. I tested the latest CUDA update 3.2 RC. The driver page doesn’t reflect nothing. You must test it for asume that it work.

Saludos

How do you know that CUDA is working?

What CUDA aplication do you test?.

I have a GTX480 working, with 32fps under Cinebench 11.5, working perfectly but no CUDA. I tested the latest CUDA update 3.2 RC. The driver page doesn’t reflect nothing. You must test it for asume that it work.

Saludos

That card for Mac has been released

Let’s hope it co-exists with the ATI and has no problem with dual boot. If anyone buys it and tries it, please post your results here. Thanks!