Quadro 4000 Mac Users - Important Information Regarding Mac OS X 10.6.7 Update

Apple’s Mac OS X version 10.6.7 update removes the NVIDIA Quadro 4000 display drivers during the installation process. As a result, you will not be able to boot into Mac OS X 10.6.7 with a Quadro 4000 graphics card installed. The previous NVIDIA Quadro 4000 display driver version 256.01.00f03 is not compatible with Mac OS X version 10.6.7 and so you can not reinstall this driver after installing Mac OS X 10.6.7. A new NVIDIA display driver for the Quadro 4000 graphics card version 256.2.35f05 will be available from the NVIDIA Software Downloads page on March 22nd, 2011 which will install on Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Since Mac OS X 10.6.7 will not let you boot into the OS if the graphics card is missing display drivers, you will need to install an older graphics card into your Mac in order to boot int the OS. Once you are in Mac OS X, proceed to download the latest Quadro 4000 Mac drivers from the NVIDIA Software Downloads and install them. After the Quadro 4000 drivers have been installed, you may re-insert the NVIDIA Quadro 4000 back into your Mac Pro.

[b]EDIT 3/22/2011: We have just posted a new driver for the Quadro 4000 which will allow it to work with Apple’s latest Mac OS X 10.6.7 update. You may download this driver from the URL below:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-macosx-256.01.00f03v7-driver.html[/b]

Installing the drivers before rebooting should work fine, too.

Also: any word on 10.7 Quadro 4000 drivers and CUDA 4.0 support for 10.7?

The Mac OS X 10.6.7 update will still remove the previous display drivers even if you update to the newer Quadro 4000 drivers first. At this point, we do not have an ETA when 10.7 beta seeds will be supported.

I suspect one could also use another Mac and boot the MP’s OS in Firewire target mode and update the driver if stuck with a non-booting machine. Personally, I don’t have the graphics card (the driver has no OpenCL support!!!), but I think it’s worth a try for those not having another graphics card at hand.

Of course I meant after installing the 10.6.7 update, but before rebooting. This way, the 10.6.7 update will replace the “old” Quadro drivers and the NVIDIA drivers installer will replace the 10.6.7 drivers. => no dirty hands

And what happened to 256.2.35f05? 256.01.00f03v7 is still the same old driver from November :(

The old driver works also. You just open the package contents and install the three drivers in it. Anyway,

Do I sense that Apple is turning the back to NVIDIA? For instance OpenCL is not running with the Quadro 4000. Why?

Also the GTX 480 card works in Mac OS X 10.6.7 I am also wondering why any companies like EVGA for instance has not released any Mac version of it or the GTX 580. For instance it seems that Apple is supporting OpenCL with the new cards of AMD. So a developer like me who would like to produce a product for the Mac Apple store should get into a great dilema whether to use CUDA or OpenCL. Apple do not expose its plans regarding the use of GPU in its new products only a trend to AMD with the new MacBook Pro laptops. NVIDIA does not expose why Apple’s OpenCL does not work with the Quadro 4000 edition for Mac and any plans for a release of Mac editions of GTX 480 and GTX 580. I am suspicious also of the Lion OS. Since it says it has been evolved around the iPAD philosophy. So Apple is going light? Is the cake already split? I mean the boundaries between NVIDIA and AMD and the OSs? Lots of questions which I suspect wont be answered, though I am taking a bet that the GF1XX will be supported in the future when you produce 32nm chips significantly reducing the heat, thus noise and power consumption. 32nm is the only sane way to go at this point. Water cooling is a solution for SLI to the GF1XX series but you need to do monstreous modifications to your box. The only nice watercooling is by corsair and it is only for the CPU for the time being. I am thus waiting for the 32nm series in order to go SLI. Anyway I am producing a software in CUDA in 3D graphics (which also will run in Linux and Windows since TCL/TK is used as the interface) with a view to the future. A 3D package for the famous Scanalyze project with new global registration techniques like the one of Chang, surface reconstruction and remeshing. Anyone who wants to participate, drop me a line in my e-mail. Knowledge of CUDA, C, C++, TCL/TK and 3D graphics manipulation is required. If you a quick learner then also drop me also a line. I regard that someone who finishes a CS School with very good marks as very capable to look at a code and understand what it does. Sorry NVIDIA for the advertisement. It is for a nice purpose. :-)

There is a problem with 10.6.7

Photoshop patch tool with

Screen shot 2011-03-26 at 3.32.29 AM.png

Screen shot 2011-03-26 at 3.34.51 AM.png

MBP 9600m gt

MP gtx285 same results

file size 70x100 300dpi

Hi,
My MAC System Profiler shows the following:

NVIDIA Quadro 4000:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x06dd
Revision ID: 0x00a3
ROM Revision: 3581
Displays:
FPD2485W:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Display Connector:

From MAC support: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1582

This section applies to Mac OS X v10.5 or earlier; as mentioned above, if you use Mac OS X v10.6 or later your Mac is already using Quartz Extreme and Core Image.

You can use System Profiler to make sure your Mac’s graphics card supports Quartz Extreme or Core Image in Mac OS X v10.5 or earlier.

Open System Profiler (in /Applications/Utilities).
Click "Graphics/Displays" under Contents.
In the right pane under "Display," look for the Quartz Extreme and Core Image lines; next to each, you will see either "Supported" or "Not Supported."

Question:

It says" if you use Mac OS X v10.6 or later your Mac is already using Quartz Extreme and Core Image." I’m confused because I don’t see “Quartz Extreme Supported” and “Core Image Supported” lines in my system profiler: Graphics/display above. Should I see this in my system profiler: Graphics/display? I attached HT1582_1.jpg that shows how it should look highlighted in blue.

I get massive flickering in the preview window when I run Final Cut Pro. When I play back video I get garbage altering with the video clip I’m playing back. I never had this problem with the video card that came with my intel MAC PRO 3,1

I got the Quadro 4000 for MAC to use with FCP and, in the future, I also wont to have a Bootcamp Win7 for Adobe Premier Pro using the CUDA.

Is this a driver problem or OS problem?

Is there a ‘control panel’ like in Windows to control the Quadro 4000 card?

I have OS X version 10.6.7 and have installed the nVIDIA driver Retail_256.01.00f03v7.dmg after updating OS X.

Thank you
HT1582_1.jpg

HT1582_1.jpg

Snow Leopard does not show you in the information if QE/CI is enabled. The only way to tell if you have QE/CI is:

Right click on the Desktop
Choose Change Desktop Background
The see if Translucent menu bar is ticked, if so then QE/CI works.
One way to quickly tell is to see the top bar color change according to the color of the background image. If it is grey to white color then you don’t have QE/CI.

Also a question to the moderator : Will your fermi driver support OpenCL? The fermi driver for Apple does not support OpenCL am I wrong?

Cheers,
Alexander.

Thank you Alexander, I tried what you suggested and it appears that I do have QE/CI working.

BTW, I am using FCP ver. 6.0.6 I will probably upgrade to v.8 when it comes out in August. I hope this will stop the glitching on the playback canvass window. It alternates between a still of the video clip and random old background image with garbage on top of it. It’s weird looking. If I scroll through the timeline it looks fine, there is no glitchy garbage.

Is there a way to do a screen capture? I can show you what the glitchy garbage looks like.

Robert

I’ve successfully played Left 4 Dead 2 on my macbook pro before, but today when the game start my screen went nuts. It’s hard to describe the image, but all of my screen was covered in tiny black/white boxes/pixels with red and yellow small boxes. I thought my card crashed, but I was able to force quit the program.

I went to download the driver from the website. First requirement was to update CUDA which I did successfully. When I punch in my info: GeForce 330m GT, Mac OS X 10.6.7, I was directed to this specific driver. When I go to install, however, I get the error that my system is unsupported for this driver. I’m new to macs (just bought this system a few months ago) and I’ve always used a PC so I’m unaware as to how to rectify this, or even if I actually need to install this driver.

OpenCL now works on the Quadro4000 series. Please do not sent me e-mails about this search the web instead. Safely buy this card. You will have OpenCL and CUDA. You just need to inject some kexts.

Cheers,
Alexander.

I must update my MacPro running 10.6.6 to 10.6.7 to load Final Cut Pro X. I would rather not have to dismantle machine and swap graphics cards. Is it possible to update the OS and install the 10.6.7 Quadro 4000 drivers from another machine with my MacPro in firewire target mode?

Thanks

Ned Soltz

Update to my question-- seems it is possible (as I thought) to update OS from another machine through target mode. Problem is with the nVidia installer which does not allow choice of target drive installation-- it merely looks at the graphics card in the MBPro and says it can’t install on that system.

Is it then possible to extract driver files via Pacifist and copy to proper folders?

I noticed your reply on the 4000 and thought you might see this first here.

Would this be the Cuda driver to use with a GTX 285? (4.x) I have a new GTX 285 EVGA 1Gb arriving (bought on Ebay) that I will be putting in a 5.1 Mid 2010 Mac Pro Hexacore Westmere that I want to use with Premiere Pro 5.5 with Cuda hardware acceleration. I want to stay at 10.6.7 for a number of reasons. !0.6.8 seems to break several things. There is a cudadriver-4.0.17-macos available now, should I try that?

What driver would you use for the card? The latest one available in April (see other thread,10.6.7 problem with update) was Retail_256.01.00f03v7. In June 2011 NVidia released Retail_256.02.25f1v1, September 2010 was Retail_256.00.05a23.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.