Can the program compiled with NVCC run a machine without the GPU card?

Dear all,

A beginner’s question:

If the program was compiled with NVCC on a machine with GPU card and can run normally, could it run on other machines without the GPU card? If can’t, what should I do to let it work both on the machine with GPU card (with great speed up) and the machine without GPU card (worked by CPU)?

Thanks,
Zhanghong Tang

the program running on GPU is totally different from that on CPU.
It can only be run in emu mode without a GPU.

Libraries probably are the major issue. If you build with CUDA, the application then has dynamic library dependencies on the CUDA libraries. There is no way I am aware of to statically link a CUDA application (certainly not on linux anyway). So in order for the code to run, the CUDA libraries the code was linked against must be present on the machine. That means the NVIDIA driver package should be installed (to provide the CUDA driver library), and if you use CUBLAS, CUFFT or the runtime API, then the toolkit libraries must be present as well.

But the host application can easily have non-CUDA code paths and CUDA code paths. Much of our code works that way - we can either run it with the GPU accelerations activated, or use host CPU code only if there is no suitable GPU available. Dynamic library dependencies are the biggest issue in that case.

Dear avidday,

Thank you very much for your kindly reply. I need to make sure three issues:

1. If want to speed up by the GPU card, the program built with CUDA or linked with CUBLAS libraries should run on the machines with GPU card and with the CUDA drivers installed, right?

2. The .cu code built with CUDA can run on the machine without GPU card, but the machine have installed the CUDA drivers, right?

3. .c or .cpp code can link with CUBLAS libraries without the CUDA installed and then the program (associated with the necessary libraries in the same folder) can run on both mathines with and without the GPU card, right?

Thanks,
Zhanghong Tang

Yes if you want to run GPU code, you have to have a suitable GPU with drivers.

No. You can’t run GPU code on the CPU without using some form of GPU emulator. But if your application contains both code for the CPU and GPU and you don’t call the GPU code, then yes it should be OK to run on a machine without a CUDA capable GPU, as long as the necessary libraries are also present. So you can have code like this:

int n_gpus = myGetNumerGPUs();

if (n_gpus > 0) {

myCUDAfunc();

} else {

myCPUfunc();

}

Yes, but with the same restrictions as my answer for (2).

Hi avidday,

Thanks for your kindly reply. That’s what I don’t expected:(

At least I wish the CUBLAS do this work for us:)
such as
if (n_gpus > 0) {
myCUDAfunc();
} else {
myCPUfunc();
}

Thanks,
Zhanghong Tang

If you are willing to look at open source projects, ocelot provides this functionality. CPU and GPU devices are exposed through the CUDA runtime interface (executing on a CPU will simply require selecting a CPU device using cudaSetDevice). If the system does not have a GPU installed, it will default to a CPU device. It supports linking against CUBLAS and CUFFT.

As long as the cudart is available, the CUDA drivers don’t need to be present. Applications can determine using cudaGetDeviceProperties whether they are any real GPUs available on which to run. I do this successfully in hoomd, and have tested mac, win, and linux binaries compiled with CUDA support enabled on machines that lack NVIDIA drivers.

cudagetdevices cannot run without a nvidia graphic driver enabled, am i right?

then this could be a problem

is there any method, like system call, can decide what kind and how many gpu installed in the machine?

OK, let me quote the docs first and point out that all cudaGetDeviceCount and cudaGetDeviceProperties are available in the cudart library (which you can package with your application in binary form if you want). No NVIDIA driver needs to be installed for this to work. I’ve tested it on windows, linux, and mac w/o problems.

You have to read the docs carefully, though, as there are many quirks that don’t make a lot of intuituve sense (like: why does cudaGetDeviceCount return 1 when there are 0 devices on the system!)

4.4.2.3 cudaError_t cudaGetDeviceCount (int  count)

Returns in count the number of devices with compute capability greater or equal to 1.0 that are available for

execution. If there is no such device, cudaGetDeviceCount() returns 1 and device 0 only supports device

emulation mode. Since this device will be able to emulate all hardware features, this device will report major and

minor compute capability versions of 9999.

So to determine if you have a “real” gpu, you need to run cudaGetDeviceCount and then filter out the GPUs that report compute capability 9999 (as the docs are horribly wrong to state that the magical “device” can support all hardware features. It gets even more fun if you want your code to also work in emulation mode. Additionally, in recent versions of CUDA you can compare the cuda driver version against the runtime version to make sure that they are compatible.

For those who are curious, I wrapped this all up into a beast of a GPU selection function for hoomd. It also prioritizes faster and non-kernel-timeout GPUs for selection first. Here is the code:

//! Element in a priority sort of GPUs

struct gpu_elem

{

//! Constructor

gpu_elem(float p=0.0f, int g=0) : priority(p), gpu_id(g) {}

float priority;	//!< determined priority of the GPU

int gpu_id;		//!< ID of the GPU

};

//! less than operator for sorting gpu_elem

/*! \param a first element in the comparison

\param b second element in the comparison

*/

bool operator<(const gpu_elem& a, const gpu_elem& b)

{

if (a.priority == b.priority)

return a.gpu_id < b.gpu_id;

else

return a.priority > b.priority;

}

/*! \param ignore_display If set to true, try to ignore GPUs attached to the display

Each GPU that CUDA reports to exist is scrutinized to determine if it is actually capable of running HOOMD

When one is found to be lacking, it is marked as unavailable and a short notice is printed as to why.

\post m_gpu_list, m_gpu_available and m_system_compute_exclusive are all filled out

*/

void ExecutionConfiguration::scanGPUs(bool ignore_display)

{

#if CUDART_VERSION >= 2020

// check the CUDA driver version

int driverVersion = 0;

cudaDriverGetVersion(&driverVersion);

#ifndef _DEVICEEMU

// device emulation mode doesn't need a driver

// first handle the situation where no driver is installed (or it is a CUDA 2.1 or earlier driver)

if (driverVersion == 0)

{

cout << endl << "***Warning! NVIDIA driver not installed or is too old, ignoring any GPUs in the system."

<< endl << endl;

return;

}

// next, check to see if the driver is capable of running the version of CUDART that HOOMD was compiled against

if (driverVersion < CUDART_VERSION)

{

int driver_major = driverVersion / 1000;

int driver_minor = (driverVersion - driver_major * 1000) / 10;

int cudart_major = CUDART_VERSION / 1000;

int cudart_minor = (CUDART_VERSION - cudart_major * 1000) / 10;

cout << endl << "***Warning! The NVIDIA driver only supports CUDA versions up to " << driver_major << "."

<< driver_minor << ", but HOOMD was built against CUDA " << cudart_major << "." << cudart_minor << endl;

cout << "			Ignoring any GPUs in the system." << endl;

return;

}

#endif

#endif

// determine the number of GPUs that CUDA thinks there is

int dev_count;

cudaError_t error = cudaGetDeviceCount(&dev_count);

if (error != cudaSuccess)

{

cerr << endl << "***Error! Error calling cudaGetDeviceCount()." << endl << endl;

throw runtime_error("Error initializing execution configuration");

}

// initialize variables

int n_exclusive_gpus = 0;

m_gpu_available.resize(dev_count);

// loop through each GPU and check it's properties

for (int dev = 0; dev < dev_count; dev++)

{

// get the device properties

cudaDeviceProp dev_prop;

cudaError_t error = cudaGetDeviceProperties(&dev_prop, dev);

{

cerr << endl << "***Error! Error calling cudaGetDeviceProperties()." << endl << endl;

}

// start by assuming that the device is available, it will be excluded later if it is not

m_gpu_available[dev] = true;

// if this is not a device emulation build: exclude the device emulation device

#ifndef _DEVICEEMU

if (dev_prop.major == 9999 && dev_prop.minor == 9999)

{

m_gpu_available[dev] = false;

cout << "Notice: GPU id " << dev << " is not available for computation because "

<< "it is an emulated device" << endl;

}

#endif

// exclude a GPU if it's compute version is not high enough

int compoundComputeVer = dev_prop.minor + dev_prop.major * 10;

if (m_gpu_available[dev] && compoundComputeVer < CUDA_ARCH)

{

cout << "Notice: GPU id " << dev << " is not available for computation because "

<< "it's compute capability is not high enough" << endl;

int min_major = CUDA_ARCH/10;

int min_minor = CUDA_ARCH - min_major*10;

cout << "		This build of hoomd was compiled for a minimum capability of of " << min_major << "."

<< min_minor << " but the GPU is only " << dev_prop.major << "." << dev_prop.minor << endl;

}

#if CUDART_VERSION > 2010

// ignore the display gpu if that was requested

if (m_gpu_available[dev] && ignore_display && dev_prop.kernelExecTimeoutEnabled)

{

<< "it appears to be attached to a display" << endl;

}

#else

if (ignore_display)

{

cout << endl << "***Warning! --ignore-dispaly-gpu is innefective because this build of HOOMD was compiled"

<< " against a CUDA version older than 2.1" << endl << endl;

}

#endif

#if CUDART_VERSION >= 2020

// exclude a gpu if it is compute-prohibited

if (m_gpu_available[dev] && dev_prop.computeMode == cudaComputeModeProhibited)

{

<< "it is set in the compute-prohibited mode" << endl;

}

// count the number of compute-exclusive gpus

if (m_gpu_available[dev] && dev_prop.computeMode == cudaComputeModeExclusive)

n_exclusive_gpus++;

#endif

}

std::vector<gpu_elem> gpu_priorities;

for (int dev = 0; dev < dev_count; dev++)

{

if (m_gpu_available[dev])

{

cudaDeviceProp dev_prop;

cudaError_t error = cudaGetDeviceProperties(&dev_prop, dev);

{

cout << endl << "***Error! Error calling cudaGetDeviceProperties()." << endl << endl;

}

// calculate a simple priority: multiprocessors * clock = speed, then subtract a bit if the device is

// attached to a display

float priority = float(dev_prop.clockRate * dev_prop.multiProcessorCount) / float(1e7);

#if CUDART_VERSION > 2010

if (dev_prop.kernelExecTimeoutEnabled)

priority -= 0.1f;

#endif

gpu_priorities.push_back(gpu_elem(priority, dev));

}

}

// sort the GPUs based on priority

sort(gpu_priorities.begin(), gpu_priorities.end());

// add the prioritized GPUs to the list

for (unsigned int i = 0; i < gpu_priorities.size(); i++)

{

m_gpu_list.push_back(gpu_priorities[i].gpu_id);

}

// the system is fully compute-exclusive if all capable GPUs are compute-exclusive

if (n_exclusive_gpus == getNumCapableGPUs())

m_system_compute_exclusive = true;

else

m_system_compute_exclusive = false;

}

/*! \param gpu_id ID of the GPU to check for availability

\pre scanGPUs() has been called

\return The availability statis of GPU \a gpu_id as determined by scanGPU()

*/

bool ExecutionConfiguration::isGPUAvailable(int gpu_id)

{

if (gpu_id < -1)

return false;

if (gpu_id == -1)

return true;

if ((unsigned int)gpu_id >= m_gpu_available.size())

return false;

return m_gpu_available[gpu_id];

}

/*! \pre scanGPUs() has been called

\return The count of avaialble GPUs deteremined by scanGPUs

*/

int ExecutionConfiguration::getNumCapableGPUs()

{

int count = 0;

for (unsigned int i = 0; i < m_gpu_available.size(); i++)

{

if (m_gpu_available[i])

count++;

}

return count;

}

Hopefully that code makes some sense out of context. The generated list m_gpu_list is suitable for passing into cudaSetValidDevices(), where you can then allow cudart to automatically select one them (compute-exclusive systems), in the priority order determined by the above code. Of you could just pick one of the valid devices and cudaSetDevice().

If getNumCapableGPUs() returns 0, then the code can take the CPU path and must not call any functions that would attempt to auto-initialize a GPU (like cudaMalloc) or you will get an invalid device error from CUDA.

That is interesting and thanks for posting it. I never suspected that the runtime API libraries could function independently of the driver in that way. I have a similarly ugly piece of driver API code which does more or less the same thing in my multi-gpu code. I wrote it in the clearly incorrect assumption that the runtme API would try and establish a context on any gpu you try to query. I might go an revisit that code and see if I really can get away without the driver API.

Thanks, this code looks extremely useful. However, when I run a program built with nvcc on a machine without gpu – but with libcudart.so – I immediately get a SIGFPE. This happens for a completely empty program, ie nothing but

int main(int, char**) { return 0; }

I’ve seen this reported in other threads in these forums.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thanks, this code looks extremely useful. However, when I run a program built with nvcc on a machine without gpu – but with libcudart.so – I immediately get a SIGFPE. This happens for a completely empty program, ie nothing but

int main(int, char**) { return 0; }

I’ve seen this reported in other threads in these forums.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

In that case it’s real easy to solve.

Use dynamic linking on windows.

Like: “LoadLibrary” and “GetProcAddress”.

Piece a cake.

If either of these two functions fail it will return nil, so then you know the dll’s or the functions are not present and you can fall back to cpu code ;)

In that case it’s real easy to solve.

Use dynamic linking on windows.

Like: “LoadLibrary” and “GetProcAddress”.

Piece a cake.

If either of these two functions fail it will return nil, so then you know the dll’s or the functions are not present and you can fall back to cpu code ;)