Compile error using CuPP operand must be a pointer

Hello,

I am trying to use CuPP to integrate CUDA into a genome alignment program calls SOAP as a project for school. My system is Ubuntu 64 bits w/ CUDA 2.1. I was very interested in using the STL memory managing capability of CuPP.

I compiled CuPP and all the examples worked out fine.

However, as I am trying to integrate vector_complex into the program, by adding the call function, and the include files.

I get the error:

kernel_vector_complex.cu(12): error: operand of "*" must be a pointer

1 error detected in the compilation of "/tmp/tmpxft_000056ab_00000000-5_kernel_vector_complex.cpp2.i".

make: *** [kernel_vector_complex.o] Error 255

I’ve been trying to figure this out for the last 3 hours and nothing worked.

I used the exact same code which was given in the example.

Hi,

sorry, I don’t see a error at first sight. Can you please attach a standalone version of your program, so I can try to compile it at my system?

-Jens

Jens,

Thank you for the quick response.

I’ve attached the src folder in soapGPU.tar (240KB).

Dinh[attachment=11232:soapGPU.tar]

Hello again,

I was able to integrate kernel_kernel.cu into my program, then I simply added the line below to the file.

#include “cupp/deviceT/vector.h”

This caused me to get the error:

/usr/local/cuda/bin/nvcc -c kernel_kernel.cu -O3   -I/usr/local/cuda/include -I /media/disk/dinh/cupp/include -o kernel_kernel.o 

/usr/include/boost/mpl/aux_/integral_wrapper.hpp:72: error: `&' cannot appear in a constant-expression

/usr/include/boost/mpl/aux_/integral_wrapper.hpp:72: error: template argument 2 is invalid

/usr/include/boost/mpl/aux_/integral_wrapper.hpp:73: error: `&' cannot appear in a constant-expression

/usr/include/boost/mpl/aux_/integral_wrapper.hpp:73: error: template argument 2 is invalid

/usr/include/boost/mpl/size_t_fwd.hpp:23: error: expected unqualified-id before â[â token

/usr/include/boost/mpl/size_t_fwd.hpp:26: error: âmpl_::size_tâ has not been declared

/usr/include/boost/mpl/aux_/integral_wrapper.hpp:42: error: expected unqualified-id before â[â token

In file included from kernel_kernel.cu:17:

/tmp/tmpxft_00006114_00000000-1_kernel_kernel.cudafe1.stub.c:19: error: expected `;' at end of input

/tmp/tmpxft_00006114_00000000-1_kernel_kernel.cudafe1.stub.c:19: error: expected `}' at end of input

make: *** [kernel_kernel.o] Error 255

Perhaps this is the root of the problem?

Can you please try to compile the kernel with the option -DNVCC? This solves the problem for me.

Yes, it worked! External Media