Convert NV12 to RGB in DeepStream pipeline

Please provide complete information as applicable to your setup.

• Hardware Platform (Jetson / GPU)
AGX Xavier
• DeepStream Version
• JetPack Version (valid for Jetson only)
• TensorRT Version
• Issue Type( questions, new requirements, bugs)
question

I have a DeepStream pipeline with a custom plugin in it that only accepts RGB input. I didn’t find a simple solution to move from the NV12 output from the nvv4l2decoder to RGB for the custom plugin.
I’m currently stuck using the pipeline below which results in a internal datastream error.

Pipeline:

gst-launch-1.0
filesrc location=“input.mp4” ! qtdemux ! h264parse ! nvv4l2decoder !
nvvideoconvert ! ‘video/x-raw,format=(string)RGBA’ !
videoconvert ! ‘video/x-raw,format=(string)RGB’ !
custom_plugin ! nvvideoconvert !
‘video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),format=(string)NV12’ !
m.sink_0 nvstreammux name=m batch-size=1 width=1920 height=1080 enable-padding=0 !
nvinfer config-file-path=“config_infer_primary_yolo.txt” !
nvvideoconvert ! nvdsosd ! nvvideoconvert ! nvv4l2h264enc ! h264parse ! mp4mux !
filesink location=“result.mp4”

Could you provide a simple pipeline that loads a h264 mp4 file, converts to RGB and performs inference with nvinfer after that?

Can you use “gst-inspect-1.0 custom_plugin” to query the information of the custom_plugin?

The pipeline will not be simple because deepstream plugins uses Nvidia HW buffers while custom_plugin uses software buffers, the HW buffer to SW buffer transferring and SW buffer to HW buffer transferring will make the pipeline complicated. Deepstream pipeline needs deepstream plugins.

The accepted input/output format from gst-inspect is video/x-raw format: {GRAY8,RGB}.

Okay I see, I was under the impression that nvvideoconvert could switch between HW/SW buffers as it has src and sinkpads for memory:NVMM and without. Unfortunately the custom_plugin is non-deepstream and I cannot change it. My plan was to do all the preprocessing in a regular GStreamer pipeline and then switch to DeepStream for the neural networks/visualization.

nvvideoconvert does not support GRAY8 or RGB. Please add videoconvert before nvvideoconvert(the second one).

Thanks for the lightning fast answer!
You were right, I didn’t consider to convert back using another videoconvert after custom_plugin, now it works!
For anyone wanting do something similar, here is the full pipeline that is working now:

gst-launch-1.0
filesrc location=“input.mp4” ! qtdemux ! h264parse ! nvv4l2decoder !
nvvideoconvert ! ‘video/x-raw,format=(string)RGBA’ !
videoconvert ! ‘video/x-raw,format=(string)RGB’ !
custom_plugin ! videoconvert ! ‘video/x-raw,format=(string)NV12’ ! \ nvvideoconvert !
‘video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),format=(string)NV12’ !
m.sink_0 nvstreammux name=m batch-size=1 width=1920 height=1080 enable-padding=0 !
nvinfer config-file-path=“config_infer_primary_yolo.txt” !
nvvideoconvert ! nvdsosd ! nvvideoconvert ! nvv4l2h264enc ! h264parse ! mp4mux !
filesink location=“result.mp4”