CUDA 5.5 & GCC 4.7.3

Is CUDA 5.5 supposed to refuse to install when using GCC 4.7.3 (linux 64bit)?

The installer reports the following:

Unsupported compiler: 4.7.3

===========
= Summary =

Driver: Not Selected
Toolkit: Installation Failed. Using unsupported Compiler.
Samples: Not Selected

When i extract the individual installers with ./cuda_5.5.22_linux_64.run --extract=~/cuda/
and then install the toolkit with ~/cuda/cuda-linux64-rel-5.5.22-16488124.run -prefix=/opt/cuda it seems to install correctly.

Looking at the installed /opt/cuda/include/host_config.h i think it should support GCC 4.7.3:

#if defined(GNUC)

#if GNUC > 4 || (GNUC == 4 && GNUC_MINOR > 8)

#error – unsupported GNU version! gcc 4.9 and up are not supported!

#endif /* GNUC> 4 || (GNUC == 4 && GNUC_MINOR > 8) */

#endif /* GNUC */

So is this an error in the linux installer?

You are correct that 4.7.3 is a supported version of gcc, so this looks like a bug in the installer.

Could you please post the output of gcc -v. This will help me determine what’s going on in your use case.
Also, which distro of Linux are you using?

In the meantime, you can workaround this issue by running the installer with the --override flag:
./cuda_5.5.22_linux_64.run --override

This will ignore all checks within the installer, specifically the gcc version check.

Edit: Fixing command line to run

Thank you for your reply Andy.

Here is the output of gcc -v:

gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.7.3/gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3/lto-wrapper
Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Configured with: /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.7.3/work/gcc-4.7.3/configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.7.3 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3/include/g++-v4 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --disable-altivec --disable-fixed-point --without-cloog --without-ppl --disable-lto --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --with-system-zlib --enable-obsolete --disable-werror --enable-secureplt --enable-multilib --with-multilib-list=m32,m64 --enable-libmudflap --disable-libssp --enable-libgomp --with-python-dir=/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3/python --enable-checking=release --disable-libgcj --enable-libstdcxx-time --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-targets=all --with-bugurl=http://bugs.gentoo.org/ --with-pkgversion='Gentoo 4.7.3 p1.0, pie-0.5.5'
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.7.3 (Gentoo 4.7.3 p1.0, pie-0.5.5)

I’m using Gentoo Linux ~amd64, with kernel 3.10.5-gentoo-r1