CUDA and Windows 7 bugs bugs bugs

Hello arcuders,

I’ve just installed windows 7 on my machine and got a new GPU (NVIDIA GT9500). Very happy about it…

That is for the new GPU… not windows 7. They ve proven really annoying so far… although quite good-looking.

I ve been trying for a whole day to get CUDA working under windows 7 but can’t do it.

I install the drivers, the toolkit and the SDK… even installed the new beta 3 drivers and SDK but nothing…If I try to run an example program from VS 2008…crash.!

well not crash but I do get a few errors.

Actually, the programs compile in all modes apart from the release mode…but when I run them…they exit with errors.

Whenever i try to run the release mode it complains that it cannot find the executable.

I don’t understand…I ve known so far that the release mode is supposed to create the executable…

anyway.

Whenever I try to run in debug mode I get the following output:

[codebox]‘cppIntegration.exe’: Loaded ‘C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GPU Computing SDK\C\bin\win32\Debug\cppIntegration.exe’, Symbols loaded.

‘cppIntegration.exe’: Loaded ‘C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll’

‘cppIntegration.exe’: Loaded ‘C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll’

‘cppIntegration.exe’: Loaded ‘C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll’

‘cppIntegration.exe’: Loaded ‘C:\CUDA\bin\cudart32_30_8.dll’, Binary was not built with debug information.

‘cppIntegration.exe’: Loaded ‘C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GPU Computing SDK\C\bin\win32\Debug\cutil32D.dll’

First-chance exception at 0x753d9617 in cppIntegration.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: cudaError at memory location 0x0012fb50…

First-chance exception at 0x753d9617 in cppIntegration.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: cudaError at memory location 0x0012fbac…

First-chance exception at 0x753d9617 in cppIntegration.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: cudaError at memory location 0x0012fb4c…

First-chance exception at 0x753d9617 in cppIntegration.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: cudaError at memory location 0x0012fba8…

First-chance exception at 0x753d9617 in cppIntegration.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: cudaError at memory location 0x0012fd48…

First-chance exception at 0x753d9617 in cppIntegration.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: cudaError at memory location 0x0012fda4…

First-chance exception at 0x753d9617 in cppIntegration.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: cudaError at memory location 0x0012fd50…

First-chance exception at 0x753d9617 in cppIntegration.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: cudaError at memory location 0x0012fdac…

The program ‘[4044] cppIntegration.exe: Native’ has exited with code -1 (0xffffffff).[/codebox]

Or something like this…

Depending on the program, I also get enumeration errors as well as the above…

Whenever I try to build in release mode, I get this error :

[codebox]

1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file ‘…/…/bin/win32/Release/cppIntegration.exe’

[/codebox]

This is just an example…It does this with every project not just the cppIntegration one.

Has anyone figured out what the problem is?

Anyone had this kind of errors with CUDA and Win 7?

Please…

I quite like windows 7, don’t want to go back to XP. I’m a bit sick of those grey and blue boring windows all these years!!

And I can’t install linux because of university work…

Thank you all,

Filippos

OK. Found the solution to this one. I ll post it here in case other people have the same problems
with windows 7 and VS 2008.

Step 1:

If you have just installed win 7, there will be an account with the username you chose and
a disabled admin account. You will probly be logged-in as the username
and might have installed a few programs too. Don’t do that. This is a limited account
and you can’t save files to a lot of locations cause of some bug or something.
You need to go and enable the built-in admin account and install CUDA
afterwards, under this account.

Follow the steps described in this link to enable the admin account :

[url=“http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-built-administrator-account-enable-disable.html”]http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-b...le-disable.html[/url]

After that, restart (or just log-out) and log-in the admin
account.

Step 2:

Make sure you un-install any previous CUDA versions that you might have installed under the
username account. Go to start->All programs->NVIDIA corp->Cuda Toolkit->uninstall.
Do the same for the CUDA sdk (if you installed one).
[b][/b]
Step 3:

Still under the admin account(step 1) re-install all CUDA stuff…1st the driver, 2nd the toolkit
and 3rd the SDK.
IMPORTANT: You need to install the SDK for the Current User, not All Users.

After the SDK installation is finished, browse for the SDK VS 2008 projects and open one. It
should now be working.

( Few projects throw C++ exceptions but they still run, think the same was happening with XP ).

Good catch FLag, maybe nVidia can rework the installer a bit to avoid this problem in the future.

Not being an admin by default is not a bug, its common sense.
Just install the SDK somewhere the user has read/write rights and everything will go fine.