cuda toolkit issue

Hi all,
I have recently installed the latest version of the PGI community edition, and when I was attempting to run a Fortran code using pgfortran, I got the error, “pgfortran-error-cuda version 9.1 is not available in this installation…” In looking at other forum posts regarding this error, it appears that the issue is that the CUDA toolkit wasn’t downloaded when I installed the PGI. In order to remedy this, I downloaded the PGI again and clicked on modify so I can include the CUDA 10.1 toolkit. After downloading the toolkit however, my PGI command window application won’t open. It worked fine before downloading the toolkit but now it will not open. I have already tried to uninstall and reinstall the PGI and toolkit the same way to no avail. I’m pretty new to all of this so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi jgabriel,

I got the error, “pgfortran-error-cuda version 9.1 is not available in this installation…” In looking at other forum posts regarding this error, it appears that the issue is that the CUDA toolkit wasn’t downloaded when I installed the PGI.

Correct. CUDA 9.1 is relatively old so we no longer bundle it with the compilers. The list of included CUDA versions can be found in the compiler’s release notes.
19.10: https://www.pgroup.com/resources/docs/19.10/x86/pgi-release-notes/index.htm#cuda-toolkit-versions
20.1: https://www.pgroup.com/resources/docs/20.1/x86/pgi-release-notes/index.htm#cuda-toolkit-versions

CUDA 9.1 can still be used (although we don’t officially support it or test it) by installing the CUDA 9.1 SDK on your system, then setting the “CUDA_HOME” environment variable. See the release notes for details.

After downloading the toolkit however, my PGI command window application won’t open.

I’m assuming you’re on Windows? How are you trying to launch the command window? From the Start button, a short-cut on you Desktop? If so, re-installing without first uninstalling may not update these shortcuts.

Are you able to launch the command window if you open it directly from the PGI directory (i.e. open File Explorer and go to “C:\Program Files\PGI\win64\19.10” (or where you installed the compilers if not the default location) and double click the on “pgi.bat” command)?

If that works, then you may need to update your shortcut to the new location.

If it doesn’t work, open a Windows Command Window and cd to the same directory. Run “pgi_env.bat” to set the environment. The only difference between “pgi.bat” and “pgi_env.bat” is that “pgi.bat” runs “cmd” (a Windows command window) at the end. If there’s an error in the environment, then hopefully it will be clear when setting the environment by-hand.

-Mat