cudaStreamSynchronize vs cudaDeviceSynchronize across threads

I have a C++ program with several threads that use CUDA.
On one thread I am doing custom point cloud stitching.
After a single cycle of stitch, if a correspondence vector has the x component as NaN then it is an invalid correspondence, which is ok.
I then do a cudaStreamSynchronize(nullptr) and dump some debug data to a file.
BUT…
I check if (isnan(CorrespBuffer[i].x))
and it is not NaN, and then the code…

if (isnan(CorrespBuffer[i].x)) file_out << "Pre is Nan" << std::endl;
	file_out << i << " : [" << (i % CLOUDLETTE_W) << "," << (i / CLOUDLETTE_W) << "] " << CorrespBuffer[i].x << ", " << CorrespBuffer[i].y << ", " << CorrespBuffer[i].z << std::endl;
	if (isnan(CorrespBuffer[i].x)) file_out << "Post is Nan" << std::endl;

I never get Pre is Nan, but occasionally get Post is Nan.
This indicates that CorrespBuffer[i].x changed from a valid number to NaN during the file output?

If I instead do a cudaDeviceSynchronize the strangeness goes away.

I have carefully checked my code for other threads that change CorrespBuffer and there are none.

E.g…
(no Pre is Nan)

27065 : [185,84] 0.139842, 0.0362788, 0.00396447
Post is Nan

Additional thoughts. the memory allocation is done (cudaHostAlloc) is done on the main thread, and processing that I am referring to is done much later on another thread (my StitchWorker thread).
Could this cause a synchronization issue with cudaStreamSynchronize ?

More Info: Interesting, I changed the code to ensure the the same C++ thread (on Windows10, Visual C++) that uses the memory in CUDA also allocates the memory and the bug goes away. CORRECTION: Does not go away.

Is this a bug in CUDA? Is it supposed to work this way? Can the same CUDA block of memory be shared between CUDA streams???

Further Update: Using DeviceSynchronize at least makes the correspondence summing work. It is very intermittent.

So the slides at

Explain concurrency and also indicate the problem here. Error between keyboard and chair.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.