Custom Carrier Board with Jetson TX2 not booting with JetPack 4.2

Hi Sevm89,
Thanks for the reply.On my custom board I have the serial console equivalent to UART1 on the TX2 Development Kit connector J21 pin 8 and 9. I suppose I can use this to enter a username and password on my custom board if it boots up.

However, I am unsure of the modifications you made to the DTB in Jetpack 4.2: to disable the display that got your TX2 working with your custom board. Please can you post the section you modified.

I have also attached the “Error log” from the serial console(UART1) on my custom board. I’d be happy for anyone to help with understanding the log file and my boot problem.I am new to the Nvidia platform.

Many thanks for your time.

Bade

1 TX2 Error log.txt (146 KB)

badegoke,

Could you file a new topic for this issue?

sevm89,

I am sorry for the late reply and the document is get pending. It is under final review and will be published soon.

Have you resolved your monitor error? I saw there are some error during cboot log. It seems the device tree is not correct.

WayneWWW,
I was able to get it to boot by setting the host1x status to “disabled” in the dtb. A hint I got from sevm89 Jetpack 3.3 modification in the thread, although the DTB was different.

I am not sure if I should be posting it as new since it boots now. When it boots I get the Nvidia logo static on the HDMI output if I have the TX2 module installed on the nvidia development kit board. On the serial console, I can also see the request to log in with a username and password.

There are still so many error as you may have observed from the logs. Does the document due to be published have some reference to what each section in the dtb means? I must confess I have no clue If i have disabled other functionality by disabling “host1x” in the DTB. I just want to be able to disable only sections not implemented on my custom carrier board.

Thanks

Disabling host1x is a disaster. We never do such config. If you have that node disabled, every tegra specific driver would be stopped.

Could you summarize your errors as a list?

Thanks WayneWW
As requested,I have attached a console log of the TX2 when it boots on my custom board. I have also attached a screenshot of the change I made to “host1x” in the dtb that you have confirmed is NOT a good idea.
Please can you suggest an alternative approach? Any documents to describe the sections in the default dtb is welcome.

Regards
Bade

host1x console Log.txt (81.7 KB)

What is the current status? Why do you need to disable host1x?

If this is just HDMI error, we should look into HDMI issue instead of disabling everything.

I want to boot the TX2 Module on my custom board which has no Display Port or HDMI port. I want to basically run it headless. How do I do this without disabling host1x?

The initial console log from TX2 module and my custom board showed display errors which I think stopped it from booting up.Hence the reason I disabled hots1x which seems to fix the boot up failure.

Thanks

You could just disabling all “nvdisplay@15xxxx” in device tree. If you still have error after disable it, we should look into it instead of disabling host1x.

Thanks WayneWWW.
I am away at the moment I will try this once I return in another week. Many thanks for your help.

Bade

Hi WayneWWW,

Do you have any news for us about why the boot logo is not working? After the DP Monitor works fine.
Thanks.

Best regards

Hi sevm89,

Sorry for late reply. I lost the track of this issue. What is current status?

Is your dp working in kernel?

Hi WayneWWW

In Kernel, the display port is working fine. With the JetPack 3.3, also the boot logo works on DP, but not with JetPack4.2. You said you will investigate this.
Thank you.

Best regards

evm89,

We don’t have logo even on Jetpack3.3. Could you share the bootloader log and which dtb you are using?

Hi WayneWWW

Is the document for the USB configuration under JetPack 4.2 out yet? We could not find it.

Best regards

Hi sevm89,

The device tree itself for TX2 should be enough. What usb problem do you have?

Hi WayneWWW

In an earlier post you wrote that the USB configuration for JetPack 4.2 is different to the version 3.3 as there is a newer kernel used and that there will be a document describing it. The steps from Jetson/TX2 USB - eLinux.org are not working and therefore all our usb devices are not working.
Thank you.

I think you could share what’s your problem you have here. The usb configuration can take Xaiver adaptation guide as a reference. They are all the same.

Are you using different uphy lane mapping?

We use the config#3 with 2x USB3.0 and 3x1 PCIe. The steps from Jetson/TX2 USB - eLinux.org were working just fine in JetPack3.3. What is different in JetPack 4.2? If you need further information, let me know.

Per checked the dts file in rel-32. I don’t see much difference with rel-28 based if you just want to change the uphy lane mapping. Please share your modified device tree and tell us

1. what is your usb configuration? Type A, micro B, SS/HS and how many of them.
  2. Does pcie work?