Custom Joint & Visual Deformation

I’m working on a Isaac Sim robot that contains a joint that doesn’t map exactly to a Revolute joint (similar to image below).

For the purposes of kinematics, it can be decomposed into a compound joint (J3) of a prismatic joint (J2) and a revolute joint (J1). Such that J3(X) → J2=Y & J1=Z, where X,Y,Z are articulations for the joints. Is there a way to control the articulation of the compound joint (J3) instead of the decomposed joints?

Also for the purposes of visualization and collision, I want to deform the link component mesh as a function of the articulation of the compound joint (J3). How can I do that?

Any suggestions and tips are welcome

Do you need it to be an articulation? If not, you can try the regular D6 joint that will allow such combinations of DOFs.

For rendering, you can use a visual mesh or shape parented to the same rigid body that you use per (rigid body) link that you can deform. That is better than changing the physics geometry that may affect mass. See a bite below this section here about viz/collision geom split: Rigid-Body Simulation — Omniverse Extensions latest documentation

Articulations may also work if you create linear/angular dof joint chains with links in between, possible small/lightweight dummy links.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.