DB9 Serial to USB-FTDI anybody try it?

Hi, I bought converter Serial DB9 to USB-FTDI, but dosen’t work.
I try use minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB0 (115200 8N1) but is no output?
Anybody try get serial console on Jetson TK1?

External Media

I’d check this module out if it isn’t already enabled

Device Drivers → USB Support → USB Serial Converter

src: linux - Compile FTDI kernel module - Stack Overflow

I use keyspan tripp-lite adapters and they work just fine.

USB to serial UART cables definitely work, but I’ve seen reports that not all such cables seem to be “flake free”…some are inconsistent.

I use this one, apparently “flake free” for what I’ve used it on (multiple tegra projects):
[url]Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

FYI, one big problem is that the cable SOMETIMES must be connected to a powered up DB-9 before the host can detect or use the cable…so if you were to boot up the host and no power is on the Jetson, when you start your serial console, it might not be detected. Just to be sure, you should try at least once to power down your work station, connect the serial cable to the Jetson, apply power to the Jetson, and then power up your work station…this might work if it is a simple case of needing power to the cable prior to setting it up.

davtbaum: i have module :) but not output

mfatica, linuxdev: thx, i will try to order to Poland!

mfatica i found like this: USB-A to Serial Adapter Cable - RS232, DB9, 5-ft. | Tripp Lite but is db9 is male connector :( like jetson

linuxdev: your cable is male too… ?

Another question? During Jetson boot i will see any output on serial console? right?

This is the one I am using:

[url]Keyspan RS232 to USB-A Adapter, DB9, 3-ft Cable | Tripp Lite

mfatica how do you connect this? use addtional adapter like dpb9 female - db9 female connector?

I use a standard null modem cable.

ok :) thanks - i ordered one

Yes, you should see it flood your console after a second. I’m assuming you didn’t mess with uboot settings.

hm, i’m use fastboot - maybe this is reason?

I use a standard null modem serial cable between my USB and the Jetson. When it works (it has always worked for me with my setup) you will see 100% of all output right from the start. Think of the USB serial UART as a serial port on your host, but with an extension cable instead of mounted on the back. You still need your serial cable.

If you use u-boot, you will even have a chance to pause boot (better be fast!) and select kernel or environment options. This would be as close to GRUB as you can get…a boot menu under optional u-boot, except regular keyboard and video won’t be enough with u-boot, you must use serial console for u-boot manual intervention.

ok, i will try with null modem cable - maybe my db9female adapter is broken/wrong. if don’t work i buy from keyspan one. thanks all for reply

I purchased this NULL modem cable and it works pretty well with my Jetson.
Just plugged it in, turned on Putty at 115200 and you can see the boot-up and login over it.

At work we recently purchased some Sabrent FTDI chip RS232 cables and they also work very well.
http://www.amazon.com/Serial-9-Pin-RS-232-Adapter-Chipset/dp/B006AA04K0

FTDI brand RS232/TTL UART chips have better driver support compared to the competition across multiple operating systems and they seem to be much more reliable than some of the cheaper options out there.

For me, any products with FTDI chipset work straight away after compiling with CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO=m . Which I believe recent Grinch kernel conveniently already does ;)

Maybe you need to flash with -C ‘console=tty1’ or similar?

Just info for people looking for a serial-to-USB cable (sometimes referred to as a serial UART): The serial FTDI driver is only required on the USB side…the Jetson would not require this since it is the DB9/RS-232 side.

My fedora 19 supported the serial USB without any extra configuration; I also have a JTAG debugger with FTDI serial which changed configuration slightly, but otherwise works right out of the box. Under windows 7 both serial USB and JTAG debugger configured from simple device detection, and did not require drivers other than what are available automatically (meaning windows just picked up and installed the right thing, I didn’t need to go to any manufacturer web site nor did I use any provided CDROM drivers).

Trivia: FTDI is a chip manufacturer which produces a lot of USB support chips. FTDI is itself not a protocol. Pretty much everything which uses USB has some sort of software for these chips.

I used Trendnet TU-S9 for USB <–> serial, and plain old null modem for serial serial.
Tegra Linux provides console with user ubuntu automatically logged in (you can change it in /etc/init/ttyS0.conf

I dug into my “box of junk” earlier this week and I couldn’t believe I didn’t have proper cables on hand!

Add to that the fact that contemporary motherboards rarely have exposed serial ports so… the checklist of things you’ll need to acquire in order to connect to the TK1’s DB9 serial port is:

• A serial port. Most likely you'll have to buy a USB<>RS232 converter. As @Bill notes, Internet wisdom states that converters with the FTDI chip have a good reputation for having driver support on almost every OS. A Prolific chip is probably fine too if there is driver support on your platform. Both chips work fine on my Win7/x64 workstation.
  • A DB9 female-to-female null modem cable or mini connector or Goldberg'ian equivalent. A gender changer connected to a straight-through cable will not work. :)

Your serial port settings should be 8/N/1 at 115200 bps.

Then, as @Bill notes, Putty or whichever emulator you prefer should emit plenty of output.

You can then indicate to Ubuntu the number of rows/columns in your terminal with “stty rows cols ” and transport yourself back to 1985:

External Media