Dgx spark failing fieldiag PowerStress

for some reason, customer support told me i need to post in the forum to get an RMA, which seems silly for a unit like this, but here it is:

Unit:

  • NVIDIA DGX Spark
  • BIOS 5.36_0ACUM018 (08/06/2025), DGX OS / Ubuntu 24.04.4, kernel 6.17.0-1021-nvidia

Diagnostic result (sudo ./partnerdiag --field): Final Result: FAIL

  • PowerStress FAILED at ~8:08, error code MODS-020000600139 — “Acceptable temperature limits exceeded or the thermal sensor is broken or miscalibrated.”
  • All other subtests PASS (GpuStress, C2CStress, CpuStress1, CpuStress2).
  • Reproducible: 4 separate runs, all fail PowerStress at the same ~8-minute mark. Full fieldiag logs available.

Real-world symptom: the unit hard-powers-off / freezes under sustained high-power GPU inference, recoverable only by a cold power cycle — no kernel panic, no OOM.

It’s isolated to this unit, not my environment: my identical second DGX Spark passes the same PowerStress test, but this unit keeps failing PowerStress
under the same (better) cooling, even at modest external temps. So it’s a unit-level thermal-sensor / power fault, not ambient.

I am happy to supply logs.

Testing GpuStress OK [ 3:19s ]
Testing C2CStress OK [ 0:06s ]
Testing CpuStress1 OK [ 0:08s ]
Testing CpuStress2 OK [ 10:03s ]
Testing PowerStress FAILED [ 8:10s ]

Exit Code | Virtual Id | Test | Subtest | Component | Component Id | Notes

MODS-000000000000 | GpuStress | custommods | | GPU | | OK
MODS-000000000000 | C2CStress | custommods | | C2C | | OK
MODS-000000000000 | CpuStress1 | custommods | | CPU | | OK
DGX-000000000000 | CpuStress2 | cpustress | | CPU | | OK
MODS-020000600139 | PowerStress | custommods | | Power | | Acceptable temperature limits exceeded or the thermal sensor is broken or miscalibrated

####### #### ######## ###
####### ###### ######## ###

## ##

## ##

####### ######## ## ###
####### ######## ## ###

## ##

## ##

## ##

Final Result: FAIL
End time: Sun, 14 Jun 2026 16:14:59 [ 21:48s elapsed ]
Copying logs…

This looks eligible for RMA. Can you share with me your case reference number?

Thank you for your response, the reference number is: 260614-000422.

I replied to an automated request for the diagnostic logs. Here is a link to Google Drive:

spark1-logs.tgz

Thank you for your help!

@aniculescu hello there! maybe you can help me too.

I’m in a similar scenario and I went back and forth with the customer service.

The device also basically shoots down every time I run some inference on it.

So I did the proper test with the field diagnostics tool and also failed for me at inference 3:18 into the test.

I provided this information also with a Google Drive link to the customer service team, photos of the device, of the serial number, and everything.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HYkZA4PRzwAuvIUwn5ss94vnuvNLwmYa

They requested me to do a full factory reset of the device. I did.

Then I did run the field diagnostics test again with the same result.

So they agreed to open an RMA.

RMA: 652747240101
Case: 122525

My problem is that in the RMA email there was no label for returning the device.

But what I did get was a report that within 15 days of starting this RMA case, it will expire.

I brought this to the attention of the people in the customer service.

They told me not to worry, but I haven’t gotten any message since.

I started the case on the 27th of May. This is the fourth week since I started the case.

I have the unit here stopped. I cannot use it.

Would you be so kind to help me somehow?

Every time I send a message to the customer service team, it takes a week for them to respond to me. This is exasperating.

Thank you in advance.

You should both be getting contacted soon

Thank you @aniculescu !

I did get contacted.

Unfortunately all they said was, we know you are waiting. We apologize. Please, keep on waiting.

In any case, thank you for trying to help!

Hi there @aniculescu !

Again, thank you for putting some pressure on customer care on my behalf last Monday.

As I said in my previous message I did got contacted that same day, just asking me to keep waiting for the RMA label.

I have been waiting, so far, no news. The whole week has passed. I just wrote customer care again politely asking them to please provide me with the RMA label so I can send the device that has been practically dead for almost a month now.

I do not want to be annoying, but please, Could you do your thing and ask them again?

I am desperate, I have been waiting for that RMA label 15 days now and got nothing.

The device is in its original packaging, already reset to factory settings.

Ready to be sent as soon as I get that RMA label.

Thank you!

It seems there was an IT issue that prevented RMAs from being processed. It has since been fixed and you should be updated by the customer support team again soon.

Thank you @aniculescu !! They finally produced the RMA labels and I got to send the device on Monday. Let’s see what happens now.

Regards!