Display freezes: (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): WAIT

I experience the same symptoms as: X freezes, NVIDIA(GPU-0): WAIT and Regular Xorg freezes on KDE Manjaro

The display freezes randomly. Though it mostly seems to occur when a new window/popup/setting menu/etc. is opened.
The freezes can be matched with the NVIDIA(GPU-0): WAIT log entries.

I am running ubuntu 20.04 on a laptop without any external screen
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H
Nvidia Gefore RTX3050
HP Pavilion 15-ec2530nd (461U3EA#ABH)

It is very hard to pinpoint the root cause of this issue.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (367.1 KB)

1 Like

Please check if itā€™s stable with a v470 driver.

Also the 470 driver is giving similar issues. Though the freezes seem to be of longer duration. Even close to a minute, after which I decided to force shutdown by the power button.

Something that happens with both 495 and 470, the first few minutes after boot, there are no issues. The problems start to occur from roughly 5 minutes after boot.

nvidia-bug-report-470.log.gz (375.7 KB)

1 Like

Instead of running in high-performance mode, I switched to hybrid mode. I donā€™t experience the freezes anymore. I have only found one log entry, but I never experienced that freeze.

Though I think that this is just a workaround instead of a fix. As most stuff is now run on the AMD integrated GPU.

Applications that require CUDA are able to find the NVIDIA GPU. So no problems there.

The only issue I experience now,: After returning from sleep, the brightness is at minimum. I can find some nvidia stackstraces in the log, see attached logs.

@generix, I hope you have some clue how to fix this.

nvidia-bug-report_brightness.log.gz (532.8 KB)
nvidia-bug-report_brightness2.log.gz (469.4 KB)

On suspend/resume, the brightness should be maintained by the kernel, i.e. the amdgpu driver so I suspect a bug there. Maybe check if this contains some help:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1438
For a workaround, you could copy and modify the systemd-backlight units to save/restore brightness on suspend/resume.

1 Like

@generix Thanks for your suggestion regarding the brightness.

Regarding the original bug. The bug prevents me from using an external display. As graphical applications on the external display will use the NVIDIA GPU instead of the integrated AMD GPU.

So a long term solution is really desired.

Iā€™m facing the exact same issue as @MatthijsBurgh
Configuration also pretty much the same:
Ubuntu 20.04
AMD Ryzen 5 5800H
Nvidia Geforce RTX3050
HP Pavilion 15 laptop
No external screen.

When changing windows, tabs, etc. the 5-7 sec freezes happen. Freezes are perfectly in sync with the log message:

gru 06 18:31:27 damian-HP /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1583]: (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): WAIT (2, 8, 0x8000, 0x00042194, 0x0004219c)
gru 06 18:31:34 damian-HP /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1583]: (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): WAIT (1, 8, 0x8000, 0x00042194, 0x0004219c)

I checked 495 and 470 drivers. Both give the same symptoms. Also from time to time, the freeze is permanent (especially coming back from hibernation), in which case I must reboot.

How do I switch to the hybrid mode, to at least get rid of these symptoms?

Attaching the log.
nvidia-bug-report.log (211.1 KB)

2 Likes

To switch to hybride mode:

• Open Nvidia X server settings
  • In the left list, go to Prime Profiles
  • Select Hybride Mode in the right part of the window.
  • Reboot

As mentioned, an external display will force the X Server to be run by Nvidia again. Which will bring back the issues. Running apps with Nvidia will not result in any issues.

Thanks Matthijs!
I ended up switching off the Nvidia card completely (called ā€œpower saving modeā€, also your ā€œhybridā€ is called ā€œNvidia On-Demandā€ in my system). This seems to at least fix the brightness issue (when reviving from suspend), and I donā€™t need the gpu for other tasks atmā€¦

Now after suspend my mouse stops working, but that I think is unrelated :)

Anyway, a long-term solution would be great to see :/

1 Like

@generix I have updated my driver to 510. The issue is still present.

Also the Prime Profiles settings option is not visible anymore in the Nvidia X Server app. So i donā€™t know how to switch to Pure Nvidia, Hybrid or pure integrated GPU mode.

1 Like

The ā€œprime profilesā€ pane in nvidia settings is a ubuntu patched version. If they forgot it, you can run
sudo prime select nvidia (or on-demand, intel)
to switch between modes.
Since with hybrid graphics, both gpu drivers have to work properly together, this might as well the amdgpu driver blocking the nvidia gpu. Seems Ubuntu 20.04 has now upgraded the kernel to 5.13 (with this also the amdgpu driver). Did you already try with that?
Please also check for a bios update.

Thanks for the info about prime-select. That does the job too.

I have also tried the 5.13 kernel in combination with the 510 driver. But the sadly the problem remains. Also the bios is up-to-date.

2 Likes

I am now running kernel 5.16.10, which fixes the problem. I have tested from 5.16.5 and higher, which all worked. I didnā€™t test any 5.16.X lower and also didnā€™t test any 5.14 or 5.15.

The only remaining issue that I have:
When I have selected prime modus ā€˜on-demandā€™ and I connect an externel display, the UI becomes really slow. (Except the mouse). I expect the X server should always switch to the NVIDIA gpu when an external display is connected, but it doesnā€™t.
A semi permanent workaround is to just switch to performance mode, though this forces all processes to use the NVIDIA GPU, which reduces the available GPU memory for my AI application.

Please set kernel parameter
nvidia-drm.modeset=1

Sadly the kernel parameter didnā€™t change the behaviour.

Hi, Iā€™m on Kernel v5.16.15 and Nvidia 510.54. Iā€™m on an RTX 3050 Ryzen 5 5600H HP Laptop, and Iā€™m getting the freezing issues. I checked the logs and it was mentioning the same WAIT warning. It happens on performance mode when Nvidia GPU is being used. I do not want to use On-demand as my iGPU is not powerful enough.

Is there a fix for this? Iā€™m on ZorinOS 16.1

Any updates on this? External monitor is impossible to use on this machine because of this bug. Everything just freezes and nothing works! Iā€™ve tried updating my kernel and the latest driver but no luck. Please provide a solution if possible!

On-Demand mode does fix the freezes on primary monitor because AMD is being used instead but using an external display is impossible.

I am not sure anymore, but maybe even the last issues, the one related to the external display, were fixed with nvidia driver 520 OR kernel 5.17-5.19.

Though I am back to the freezes. I am now running the following software:
kernel: 6.0.9-060009-generic
nvidia driver: 525.60.13

For now, when I am just using my internal display, running on on-demand, I donā€™t experience any freezes and my CUDA still works.

@generix I think the issues came back with the 525 driver. I think the 520 driver was still fine.

Iā€™ve been having freezing on 525, just upgraded to 530 to see if it helps, fingers crossed I guessā€¦

Ubuntu 22.04 desktop using ā€œon-demandā€ to use intel igpu for display so 3090 is dedicated for compute

EDIT: Nah definitely happens again on 530 šŸ™ƒ

1 Like

This saves me some effort. Was going to upgrade. I have been thinking that everyone was happy here. I have 3090 and tried multiple distros and unable to solve this. Just end up powering the machine off at night. Would like to get ths resolved. Just get nvidia wait one resume. using Opensuse Tumbleweed here currently and 525.89.02

Just end less messages after resume.
gdm-x-session[2649]: (WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (2-S, 17, 0xb584, 0x000568f0, 0x00056924)
gdm-x-session[2649]: (WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (1-S, 17, 0xb584, 0x000568f0, 0x00056924)