gcc library required

HI there,
I have just installed version 15.4, set two environmental variables in my .cshrc file (I am using tcsh) with:

free PGI compiler

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH “/Applications/Free_PGI.app/Contents/Resources/pgi/osx86-64/15.4/lib”
set path = (/Applications/Free_PGI.app/Contents/Resources/pgi/osx86-64/15.4/bin $path)

and the Hello code works. However, when I starting compiling my “proper” fortran code (which is compiled without problems with a number of compilers including Absoft installed on my Mac) , then there are two problems:

1. during the -c stage, each file gives out a strange message (which is just a warning I think), for instance:

pgfortran -c -g get_forces.f
pgfortran-Warning-Malformed $expr(), nonnumeric value >
pgfortran-Warning-Malformed $expr(), nonnumeric value >=

1. most importantly, the linker (ld) gives a strange warning and an error as it requires gcc library for some reason:

pgfortran -g -o tetr tetrag1.o applica.o lattice.o point_gr.o coulomb.o add_rem.o wyckoff_int.o mol_vibr.o eig_vibr.o input_tetr.o move_atoms.o get_best_ai.o change.o change_tools.o make_fcm.o tools.o tools_strings.o cluster.o permut.o orbita.o do_vibr.o do_cond.o do_irrep.o ttag.o solve_vibr.o devices.o crystal_vibr.o hat.o lattice_space.o build_spacegroup.o bsse.o move_tip.o rotations.o
ld: warning: unknown option to -macosx_version_min, not 10.x
ld: library not found for -lgcc
make: *** [APPLIC] Error 2

Going into
/Applications/Free_PGI.app/Contents/Resources/pgi/osx86-64/15.4/lib
no such library.

Anybody knows what went wrong? I am using Maverick 10.9.5, Xcode: 3.2.6 (1761).

Thanks for your help
Lev

10.9 OS X was released about the same time as Xcode versions 5.*

I am not sure we tried Mavericks with Xcode 3.2.6.

We have problems with Yosemite and Xcode 6.*, and they will be fixed
in 15.7 release in July.

I suggest you either move to a newer version of Xcode (not too new)
and reinstall, or upgrade to the latest (Yosemite - might be early for el capitan) and wait for 15.7.

dave

thanks, Dave, basically you are saying that my Xcode is not up to date. Actually, the system is “happy” with it, it does not ask for an upgrade, I have a suspicion that this is the latest release compatible with Maverick. I went onto the Apple site and there is no wind of the versions previous to 6.. Should I really look hard and find the package before 6.? I do not really want to upgrade to Yosemite for now. Could it be that version after 3.2.6 are NOT comparable with Maverick I currently have?

I don’t know of any reason why that combination of OS X version and Xcode
version would fail.

Make sure that you have indeed installed the Xcode command line tool,
and you have also installed the license for it. If not, then reinstall the PGI compilers once you have.

regards,
dave