Getting started AGAIN

I am trying to get my head around linux, the Jetson Nano environment and learning to build robots etc. The learning curve is extremely steep as it is, and I am not scared but I find the environment extremely frustrating. I am following tutorials on running servo motors, DC motors and the AI camera environment. Installing the different libraries and python versions is what’s causing the biggest headache - not the coding at all.

Can anyone help with the basic getting started steps to set up the Jetson Nano to run the basic elements as described.

I am using Adafruit’s libraries to control the servo’s over I2C and also to control the DC Motors. The problem is that it seems some libraries only run on python 2, others only on python 3.6 (Default Ubuntu 18 on the Jetpack SDK) and other insist on having python 3.7 (Adafruit servokit)

I know this is a confusing question but all I want is help to do the following :

1. After first boot on the Jetson Nano, install and upgrade the required software
  2. Install the Adafruit servo libraries
  3. Configure Jetson GPIO
  4. Start to code

This sounds stupid and simple but with every installation there is some error asking for a different version of python, requiring pip to be installed, upgrading setuptools, upgrade python and then after the default of python is changed to 3.7, then Ubuntu no longer works and I cannot open the terminal.

Why isn’t all of this set up and part of the Jetpack SDK?

Hi,
We have SDKManager. You can install it to a host PC with Ubuntu 18.04 and use the tool to install system image and SDK components, including CUDA, TensorRT, DeepStream SDK. If your use-case is to run deep learning inference, may try DeepStream SDK. We have demonstration for ResNet10, Yolo models

Adafruit is a 3rdparty stack and not in SDKManager. This would need other users to check and share guidance.

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the SDK and that it installs most of the components. I am also not expecting third party libraries to be included, all I want is to have a working environment ready to install the basic libraries needed for robotics instead of having to spend hours troubleshooting why certain libraries won’t install. Python 2 is default after installing the SDK, yet it is no longer supported and have been removed from newer versions of Ubuntu.

Don’t get me wrong - I am not expecting to get everything on a platter because battling with problems is part of learning - but having a solid foundation to start building from would be very helpful.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.