Gstreamer sync between video and audio

Hi,

I have this pipeline in gstreamer that takes video and audio from an hdmi capture card:

pipeline_video_str = 'v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! image/jpeg,width=1280,height=720,framerate=30/1 ! jpegparse ! jpegdec ! queue ! \
                    videoconvert ! video/x-raw,format=RGB ! appsink name=videosink alsasrc device=hw:CARD=MS2109,DEV=0 blocksize=6400 ! queue ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! \
                    audio/x-raw,format=F32LE,layout=interleaved,rate=44100,channels=1 ! appsink name=audiosink'

and these 2 callbacks for audio and video. You can see I put in 2 shared queues the chunks and the PTS.

def on_new_sample(sink):
    global qVideoShared

sample = sink.emit('pull_sample')
    buf = sample.get_buffer()
    result, mapinfo = buf.map(Gst.MapFlags.READ)
    data = mapinfo.data
    size = mapinfo.size
    frame = np.ndarray((720, 1280, 3), buffer=data, dtype=np.uint8)

qVideoShared.put((frame, buf.pts / Gst.SECOND))

buf.unmap(mapinfo)
    return Gst.FlowReturn.OK

def on_new_audio_sample(sink):
    global qAudioShared

sample = sink.emit('pull_sample')
    buf = sample.get_buffer()
    result, mapinfo = buf.map(Gst.MapFlags.READ)
    data = mapinfo.data
    size = mapinfo.size
    frame = struct.unpack('%df' % (size//4), data)
    qAudioShared.put((frame, buf.pts / Gst.SECOND))

buf.unmap(mapinfo)
    return Gst.FlowReturn.OK

I want to make sure I correctly sync a frame with its audio chunk when I get the elements from qAudioShared and qVideoShared. How can I achieve this? PTS seems to be completely useless, as it’s the same for both audio and video, even at desynchronization. If I perform a CPU stress test during runtime, the video becomes desynchronized (if I write 30 seconds of content on disk, the video actually speeds up, probably because of dropped frames). I don’t understand why PTS does not help me here. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi,
Please set the property to v4l2src and alsasrc and check if PTS values are expected:

do-timestamp        : Apply current stream time to buffers
                        flags: readable, writable
                        Boolean. Default: false

And instead of using appsink, you may try to save to a file and check if audio/video is synchronized.

Thank you for the response. I try adding do-timestamp, but I have the same result, the PTS are the same for video and audio, even though the video is dropping frames and becomes desynchronized.

I performed 2 tests with saving to file:

gst-launch-1.0 -e v4l2src device=“/dev/video0” ! image/jpeg,width=1280,height=720,framerate=30/1 ! jpegparse ! jpegdec ! videoconvert ! video/x-raw,format=RGB ! mux. alsasrc device=hw:CARD=MS2109,DEV=0 ! queue max-size-buffers=1000 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! voaacenc ! aacparse ! queue ! qtmux name=mux ! filesink location=test.mp4

gst-launch-1.0 -e v4l2src device=“/dev/video0” ! image/jpeg,width=1280,height=720,framerate=30/1 ! jpegparse ! jpegdec ! videoconvert ! nvvidconv ! “video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),format=NV12” ! nvv4l2h264enc! h264parse ! mux. alsasrc device=hw:CARD=MS2109,DEV=0 ! queue max-size-buffers=1000 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! voaacenc ! aacparse ! queue ! qtmux name=mux ! filesink location=test.mp4

The first one uses raw RGB and it seems to have the same issues with my pipeline. The h264 one runs perfectly though. Maybe I need to write h264 to appsink and convert to RGB in Python? I’m not sure how to proceed further.

I changed to receiving jpeg in Python and seems to be better:

v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! image/jpeg,width=1280,height=720,framerate=30/1 !
appsink name=videosink alsasrc device=hw:CARD=MS2109,DEV=0 blocksize=6400 ! queue ! audioconvert ! audioresample !
audio/x-raw,format=F32LE,layout=interleaved,rate=44100,channels=1 ! appsink name=audiosink’

So raw RGB was causing massive frame drops and desync I guess.

Hi,

This is possible since RGB data is processed on CPU. The CPU capability may dominate performance. Please execute sudo jetson_clocks to run CPU cores at maximum clock. To see if it can achieve target performance.

Thank you so much for your help, your idea with writing to file helped me arrive at the RGB conclusion. Now I use turbojpeg to decode to RGB in Python and the desync seems to be gone on gstreamer side. We can close this.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.